Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

2001 Dodge Dakota: liter engine..The engine needs to be replaced and I

We have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 liter engine. The engine needs to be replaced and I would like to put a 5.2 or 5.9 in it. Can you tell me if one of these will hook up to the transmission or not. I know that I will have to replace the wiring for both.
Roger Colorado springs Colorado
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Roger,

The 5.2 or 5.9 will bolt up, but you will have a ton of work to do to make it work. Not only will the wiring be differnt, but all the accessories (A/C, alternator, etc.) will have to be switched out with the engine. Also the PCM 9engine computer would have to be changed as well as the entire wiring harness from the computer to engine.

THe simple answer is yes it will fit the bolt pattern of the transmission, but the job is more hassle and expense than it is worth.

What is you main reason to go to a 5.9 or 5.2 from a 4.7. If it is size/power, you will be dissappointed with the little to no increase in power.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a 99 dodge with a 5.2 and have never had any problems with it and it has over 180000 miles. This one is constantly giving problems the biggest being the oil pump not working and ruining the engine so I was hoping to avoid future problems by putting in a better engine. But if its more trouble than its wort then I will just go with a remanufactured 4.7
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to here of your troubles with the 4.7. But in all honesty the 4.7 has been a very good engine. Unfortunately theres always a bad apple in the bunch. Make sure you get a rebuit engine with a warranty for piece of mind.
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience: Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor