brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: brake light..intermittently blowing..van

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. My brake light fuse is intermittently blowing out (8 fuses in 2 weeks). I have taken the van to a Dodge dealer and a Pep Boys Automotive. They cannot find anything wrong with the car. Scared to drive vehicle when brake lights are randomly going out. Any thoughts?
Do all the brake lights light up? Does it make a difference if it is raining?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When the new fuse is in place all the lights work correctly. It doesn't make a difference when it is raining and there is no visible condensation in the brake lights.

Has any of the bulbs been replaced or what has been done to try and correct the problem besides replacing the fuse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The middle bulb did have some visible carbon deposits on the bulb so it was replaced. The bottom two I am not sure, however they are working fine with a new fuse.

Landmark Dodge in Morrow, GA has had the vehicle for 2 days and they are telling me they can't replicate the blown fuse.

I did have a Pep Boys associate look at my back lights after I started the car, and pumped my breaks about 200 times. They worked great. However, I drove 200 miles that evening to Columbia, SC and back home. When I got home the fuse was blown again.

With this being an intermittent condition it will be hard to find. I would start with replacing all the brake lamp bulbs as when driving you may have a filament inside the bulb shorting out and you wont catch it sitting still as the vehicle needs to be moving to get it to short out. If that doesn't fix it the next thing I would replace is the brake switch. There is not much in this system. If neither one of these fix it then there is a wire shorting out and that could be real hard to find if it is intermittent. I would start with the bulbs as more than likely one of them is shorting out.