ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv

2004 Dodge Stratus: Coup..L..The air conditioner blows cold air

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus Coup R/T with a 3.0 L engine. The air conditioner blows cold air for about 5 minutes then the light on the A/C unit flashes. If you shut the car off and restart it. The A/C blows cold air for a few minutes again before shutting off. I had one dodge dealership look at it and they could not find the problem. Also a family friend who was a master mechanic for Ford looked at it and could not find the problem. The refrigerant is fully charged, the reserve valve is opening and shutting correctly and the compressor keeps running with the hot air blowing. I wonder if some sensor has gone bad for either the A/C or the car's cooling system and it is telling the A/C to shut off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
the reason why is because the evaporator is frizing up due to compresor not cycling properlly ,you would need to replase the evaporator sensor ,would you like me to send you the location and removal?
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. Please send me any information you have on replacing the sensor.
ok, this will take about 10 minutes ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks I sent your payment in.
i am having problems finding a removal and replacement procidure that i can send to you,i know is located in the ac box under tha dash board i just have to find a location ,sorry for the delay,as soon as i find it i wiil send it to you.
here it is,make sure that before replasing you discone

EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the glove compartment door.
  3. Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.
  4. If equipped with the MTC heating-A/C system, remove the blower motor resistor from the HVAC housing.
  5. Reach through the glove compartment door opening and disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor wiring connector.

Evaporator Temperature Sensor

1. Using a flat blade pry tool, disengage the locking tab on the access plate of the evaporator temperature sensor. Turn the access plate clockwise one-quarter turn and push the access plate inside of the HVAC housing, then orientate the plate in such a way that it can be removed from the HVAC housing. NOTE: To remove the evaporator temperature sensor probe, look through the access plate hole in the HVAC housing and reach up through the blower motor opening.

Remote Probe

1. Remove the evaporator temperature sensor probe from the A/C evaporator.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The A/C evaporator is manufactured with three holes for evaporator temperature sensor probe insertion. Always insert the probe into the uppermost hole.

1. Install the evaporator temperature sensor probe into the A/C evaporator.
  2. Install the access plate to the HVAC housing.
  3. Connect the wire harness connector to the evaporator temperature sensor.
  4. If equipped with the MTC heating-A/C system, install the blower motor resistor.
  5. Install the blower motor.
  6. Install the glove compartment door.
  7. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

ct the battery.