ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
14457476

The rear brakes on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 are hanging up causing

Customer Question

The rear brakes on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 are hanging up causing a shutter and noise in the rear. Also causing rotors to warp. I have 90,000 miles on it. I have replaced the rotors and pads, while doing this I cleaned and grease all slides and made sure calipers were moving freely. Within 3000 miles the rotors are warped again and this time a front rotor warped also. Any ideas???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
have you perform the tsb the dealer has on this symptom let me send it to, and let me know if it helps okey.

NUMBER: 05-003-04

GROUP: Brakes

DATE: June 8, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 05-008-03, DATED NOVEMBER 28, 2003, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND A REVISION TO THE WHEEL, LUG NUT TORQUE AND CLARIFICATION THAT THE REPAIR APPLIES TO 1500 SERIES TRUCK ONLY.

SUBJECT:
Brake Shudder or Vibration

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing brake pads, calipers, resurfacing the rotors and checking rotor runout.

MODELS:

**2003 (DR) Ram Truck (1500 Series Only)**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The vehicle may exhibit pulsation or vibration in the brake pedal and/or steering wheel when the brakes are applied. The condition is most noticeable at speed over 50 MPH but can occur at lower speeds.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the customers indicate that the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

NOTE :2004 vehicles are already equipped with the calipers listed above. Do not replace calipers on 2004 vehicles.

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1.Inspect the front brakes for any signs of abnormal wear or damage. Repair as necessary.

2.Resurface the front brake rotors with a DaimlerChrysler approved on-car brake lathe. If an on-car lathe is not available at the dealership, the rotor resurfacing must be sublet to a facility with an approved on car lathe.

3.Remove the calipers.

4.Clean the caliper adapter and lubricate the adapter and anti-rattle springs with MOPAR brake grease.

5.Install new calipers, p/n's 05134582AB and 05134583AB.

6.Replace the front pads and anti-rattle springs with the appropriate part number listed in the Parts Required Section above.

7.Bleed the system.

8.Mark one wheel stud on each side with a dab of paint or suitable marker.

NOTE :Wheel stud torque is critical to the success of the repair. the following procedure is intended to identify excessive rotor distortion which could be caused by improper wheel stud torque.

9.Install the wheel and pre-tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: XXXXX XXXXX (50 ft. lbs.) then final the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: **183 Nm (135 ft. lbs.)** and mark the wheel at the same location as the marked wheel stud.

10.Set up a dial indicator to measure mounted rotor runout. Place the dial indicator plunger against the inner machined rotor face, visible between the brake caliper and the front splash shield (Fig. 1). Rotate the wheel and tire assembly two turns and take runout measurement. If the measurement is less than .050 mm (.002 in.) no further action is required. If the measurement is greater than .050 mm (.002 in.) remove the lug nuts and relocate the wheel one stud clockwise, tighten the lug nuts as described in step 6 and check the runout again. Do not remove any brake parts. Repeat step 7 for each wheel location until you achieve the lowest mounted runout. Minimum mounted rotor runout will be achieved by moving the wheel, not the rotor.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This service was performed when the truck had 4000 miles on it. This is the third time the rear has warped and only the first time the front has since the service. The only thing I haven't done is steps 9 and 10 of the procedure you gave me. Does the exact torque make enough difference to warp the rotors like that? If so, why would the front not have warped like the rear?
because the rear brakes are usually the ones aplied first at all times you have a front and rearspleat brake line system were rears are aplied first then rears,also rotors on rear are a lot thiner than the fronts and will warped faster then the fronts. and yes the torke is verry inportant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not 100% sure what you are saying. Are you saying the rear brakes apply first? Don't the front brakes do about 60% of the braking? Wouldn't they apply first? Is there another reason why the rears would warp so fast? They warped in under 3000 miles this last time. Could there be something else in the system causing problems?
no the rear brakes applying first and then rears depending in how mush pressure is applying to the hydraulic system ,other wise you would have a nose dive, brake fluid is applying proportionally to each caliper depending in the force applying to the hydraulic system with the foot pedal,to prevent lock up of the wheels it may pressurize the front or the rear , now there is another possible cause and that is wheel hubs out of round they could be checked with a lateral run out gage for a bent hub,usually cause by over tight wheels, also if you do burnouts,let me see if i find somenthig on rotor run out specs and get back to you.