Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 99 durango 5.2l 4x4. I have no power to the coil

Customer Question

I have a 99 durango 5.2l 4x4. I have no power to the coil green/orange wire. I have tested good the camshft and crank shaft sensor and replaced the PCM... The fuel pump primes and I have fuel on the rail   any Ideas??? H
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Instructor jp replied 7 years ago.

Hello hbutler,

Here is a wiring diagram. You need to locate the Auto shut down relay in your power distribution center under the hood and swap it with another from the same box and type.

How are you with a voltmeter??

jp

dn910626

Thank you for using JustAnswer. If you need more help just reply. Please press the accept button so the expert can receive a portion of the fee for his / her advice and guidance if you haven't already done so.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great with a voltmeter. I have allreasy swapped the relay even took the cover off of one of them to insure it was tripping.

Ok thank you,

While the relay is latched ( by holding the armature down or cranking) do you have voltage at the coil dark green and orange stripe wire??

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when i hold the relay in the closed position I get power to the coil but it willnot start

Ok good.

Now while cranking without holding the relay do you have power at the coil?

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no power to the coli

ok thank you,

The pcm does not see something. Now lets try unplugging the cam sensor and try to start. Voltage at the coil?

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will try

Hold on you have a 5.2 no cam sensor.

I will repost

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it has a cam sensor. While cranking I do have voltage to the coil but no start

Ok thank you,

You now have power??

Do you have fuel pressure?

Your cam and crank sensors are located in the distributor.

Here is the test procedure and wiring digram for the distributor.

jp

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor on all engines

To perform a complete test of this sensor and its circuitry, refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostics Procedures MDS2. To test the sensor only, refer to the following:

For this test, an analog (non-digital) voltmeter is needed. Do not remove the distributor connector from the distributor. Using small paper clips, insert them into the backside of the distributor wire harness connector to make contact with the terminals. Be sure that the connector is not damaged when inserting the paper clips. Attach voltmeter leads to these paper clips.

1. Connect the positive (+) voltmeter lead into the sensor output wire. This is at done the distributor wire harness connector. For wire identification, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.
  2. Connect the negative (-) voltmeter lead into the ground wire. For wire identification, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.
  3. Set the voltmeter to the 15 Volt DC scale.
  4. Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws) Rotate (crank) the engine until the distributor rotor is pointed towards the rear of vehicle. The movable pulse ring should now be within the sensor pickup.
  5. Turn ignition key to ON position. Voltmeter should read approximately 5.0 volts.
  6. If voltage is not present, check the voltmeter leads for a good connection.
  7. If voltage is still not present, check for voltage at the supply wire. For wire identification, Refer to Wiring Diagrams.
  8. If 5 volts is not present at supply wire, check for voltage at PCM 32-way connector (cavity A-17) Refer to Wiring for location of connector/terminal. Leave the PCM connector connected for this test.
  9. If voltage is still not present, perform vehicle test using the DRB scan tool.
  10. If voltage is present at cavity A-17, but not at the supply wire:
    1. Check continuity between the supply wire. This is checked between the distributor connector and cavity A-17 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
    2. Check for continuity between the camshaft position sensor output wire and cavity A-18 at the PCM. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
    3. Check for continuity between the ground circuit wire at the distributor connector and ground. If continuity is not present, repair the harness as necessary.
  11. While observing the voltmeter, crank the engine with ignition switch. The voltmeter needle should fluctuate between 0 and 5 volts while the engine is cranking. This verifies that the camshaft position sensor in the distributor is operating properly and a sync pulse signal is being generated.

If sync pulse signal is not present, replacement of the camshaft position sensor is necessary

dn910630

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a haynes manual and have allready performed the crank and camshaft tests both are fine I have pulse on backprobe of black wire on coil but no spark

Ok thank you.

what is your coil resistance?

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
primary 1.0 secondary 10800

Ok thank you,

factory spec.

Numbers are pretty close. Secondary is out a bit. Have you tried a coil?

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not yet it is at my shop 30 miles away I will try it on monday... Im going to the lake. im going to pick this back up monday can I yell back at u with questions?

no worries

have a good holiday!!

jp

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.

HelloCustomer

how did the coil work out?

Have you checked to see if the distributors rotor actually rotates??

jp