brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins 5.9. It has a trouble

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins 5.9. It has a trouble code P 0299. Low boost. The truck suddenly lost power and appears to have little or no boost.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

It can be as simple as a restriction in the air intake (dirty filter) or a leak in the air intake to as severe as a turbo. I will attach a flow chart along with possible causes to help you diagnosis the problem. For some of the test there are special tools needed, but you can do some with out the tools and maybe find the problem with out them.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

POSSIBLE CAUSES

• Other DTC's
  • Intake air system restriction
  • Turbo charger damaged
  • Intake air system leak
  • Boost pressure sensor
  • Boost pressure sensor
  • Turbocharger
  • Intermittent condition

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1.OTHER DTC'S
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, read the Engine DTC's.

Q: Do you have other DTC's?

YES: Repair other boost related DTC's first

2.INTAKE AIR SYSTEM RESTRICTION
Inspect the air filter and intake air system for signs of restriction.
NO: Go To 2

Q: Were any restrictions found?

YES: Replace the Air Filter or repair the Intake air system for restriction.

NO: Go To 3

3.TURBO CHARGER DAMAGED
Disconnect the air cleaner connection to the turbo charger.
Visually inspect the turbo charger blades and turbo housing for signs of damage.

Q: Was any damaged found?

YES: Replace The Turbo charger.

NO: Go To 4

4.INTAKE AIR SYSTEM LEAK
Using Miller Special tool # XXXXX pressurize the intake air system and inspect for leakage.

Q: Were any leaks detected?

YES: Repair leaking intake air system.

NO: Go To 5

5.BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR
Using the scan tool, compare the boost pressure sensor reading with the ambient air pressure sensor with the ignition turned on.

Q: Are the boost pressure and ambient air pressure sensors within 6 in Hg of each other?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Replace the Boost pressure sensor.

6.BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR
Turn the ignition off.
Install Miller special tool #9022.
Ignition on, engine not running.
Use the scan tool and compare boost pressure reading to the regulated air pressure for tool #9022.

NOTE: The reading on the boost pressure sensor may be slightly lower than the regulated pressure.

Q: Does the boost pressure sensor reading increase with the regulated air pressure?

YES: Go To 7
NO: Replace the Boost Pressure sensor.

7.TURBOCHARGER
Disconnect the exhaust outlet connection.
Visually inspect the Wastegate flap in the turbocharger turbine housing

Q: Is the Wastegate seized in the open position?

YES: Replace the Turbocharger.

NO: Test Complete.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,