ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
14457476

2002 dodge intrepid: the valve body..small metal..transmission fluid

Customer Question

during the removal of the valve body on my 2002 dodge intrepid, 4 balls and a small metal piece that looks kida like a horse shoe fell out with the remainder of the transmission fluid. I dont know where they came from or how to put them back!! please advise!.....thanx!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 7 years ago.
hi tere, does it loock like a "C " steel type of clip?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes kinda! its more like a squared piece with a "u" shaped cuttout n it.
is this a 3.5 litter engine? and were you attempting to remove the valve body? was there anything wrong with the trnsmission?,sorry all the questioning!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes its a 3.5 and i was removing the valve body to replace the solenoid pack because of a p1776 and p0700 code that was causing the tran to go into limp mode. ask as many questions as u like, please! thanks
okey,i understand did by any chance a small piston came out ,and how many check balls drop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there were 4 balls, at least thats all i found, and i dont recall any pistons, there were two sring loaded parts that kinda look like pistons, they had two springs in them, a large and a small spring in both of them
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

do u think pictures would help? i could send them to ur email address if you dont mind that. if not i understand. maybe i could try to cut n paste them thru this website to c if that will help

okey sendem to me ,but dont worry we will fix it ok.
okey while i wayt, lest analyse what happened, you remove the valve body upon removal 2 cup like pistons drop to the oil pan and also some springs, you were on the process of replacyng th solenoid valve and 4 or 5 ball checks fell out ,tell me if i am rigth on the money!, okey nothing to worry,you just have to give me until tomorrow for me to gather some images and info, to make it easy for you ,okay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
almost, heres the scoop, i removed the pan and then the filter, afterwards i removed all of the mounting bolts and the screws on the valve body. when i pulled the valve body down, a lot of residual fluid, the solenoind pack, the square piece, the cup like parts w/springs, and the 4 check balls fell out. i almost dropped the valve body but managed to catch it! i'll get those pics to you first thing in the morning. thanks for your help!
no problem !
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
okey good pictures i get back to you tomorrow between10 and 1pm okey
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
i got the pictures and i am veining them let me see if i can find a procedure in how to resemble, i mean i know how but a picture is worth a 1000 words .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i know what u mean, that would be great!
try this and let me know its good!

42LE - Automatic Transmission

ASSEMBLY

NOTE:If the valve body assembly is being reconditioned or replaced, it is necessary to perform the Quick Learn Procedure using the DRBIII (R) Scan Tool.

1. Install valves and springs as shown in (Fig. 432).

1. Install regulator valve spring retainer (Fig. 433).

1. Install dual retainer plate using Tool 6301 (Fig. 434).

1. Verify that all retainers are installed as shown in (Fig. 435). Retainers should be flush or below valve body surface.

1. Install 2/4 Accumulator components as shown in (Fig. 436). Torque 2/4 Accumulator retainer plate to 5 Nm (45 inch lbs.).

1. Install check balls into position as shown in (Fig. 437). If necessary, secure them with petrolatum or transmission assembly gel for assembly ease.

1. Install thermal valve to the transfer plate (Fig. 438).

1. Install oil screen to transfer plate (Fig. 439).

1. Install separator plate to transfer plate (Fig. 440).

1. Install the two separator plate-to-transfer plate screws (Fig. 441).

1. Install the transfer plate to the valve body (Fig. 442).

1. Install the transfer plate-to-valve body screws (Fig. 443) and torque to 5 Nm (45 inch lbs.).

1. Install the stiffener plate (Fig. 444).

1. Install the solenoid/pressure switch assembly and to the transfer plate (Fig. 445) and torque to 6 Nm (35 inch lbs.).

1. Install the manual shaft/rooster comb and transmission range sensor to the valve body (Fig. 446).

1. Install the TRS/manual shaft retaining screw (Fig. 447) and torque to 5 Nm (45 inch lbs.).
  2. Install manual shaft seal.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i cant see the pictures
okey let me see what i can do .
do you have a fax # XXXXX i can snd it to?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i sure dont, sorry, i think i just gonna have a tow truck come pick it up and drag it to the dealer. this is way over my head! thanks for the help!
ones i send you thipictures i am sure you can out it togethr ,are you sure you whant to do that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yeah im positive, i appreciate everything!
men, i am sorry if i could not make this any easier,perhaps that is the best thing to do ,but if you have any problems or qwestions about the cust or what ever i can help let mi know. thnck you.