Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Certified in A/C, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, and Driveablity (NVH)

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan: the overhead console..(

I just purchased a used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan this week. It has the overhead console but does not have the DVD installed. I would like to install a DVD screen (used from an '08 Dodge Grand Caravan) into that console and install a radio/cd/dvd with the VES capability.   I know I will need the wireless headsets and a remote control too. Is the necessary wiring already in the overhead console to make the whole thing work? Where can I find directions for taking the console apart and installing the components myself? Thanks, Denise
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.
Does It have the overhead console where the DVD player/ screens would be or does it not have any dvd components in the ceiling?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does have the overhead console where the DVD player/screens should be. Right now there are four storage cases up there.
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.
If it does not have a head unit in it that at one time contained dvd units then the correct wiring is not there to support the dvd system you want to change over from another van. I believe that there are kits however to install these. That style van is highly optioned in the aftermarket field. I would first try to see if there are aftermarket kits available on ebay that contain all wiring and instructions for your van.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have looked on ebay and haven't seen a kit for the 2008 with that overhead console. I want to use it because the reading lights are in it and the kids really like the ambient lighting. Can you tell me how much labor I might have to pay plus an estimate on the wiring if I can supply a DVD screen for that console and the radio with the DVD in it?
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.
If you have a very good chrysler tech that can use their wiring diagrams and you supply the head unit and needed wiring, it is possible. Let me check the chrysler sight and get you a specific time.... One moment
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your time in checking the chrysler site.
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.

Do you plan on putting a dual or single dvd unit in

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Right now I would like to put in a single but I would like it to be wired for a dual so that I could add it later.
Expert:  Mr. T replied 7 years ago.

If you find an 08 caravan with the over head unit you want out of it then make sure you get all of the parts you can off of it... The more you show up with the better it will be for the tech. The removal and installation of one of these units is appx. 2.4 hrs flat rate time. So just to be safe, I would add another 2 hrs for wiring. UNLESS you get one of the dvd entertainment systems off of this sight...