Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

I have a 2006 Dodge charger. The check engine light is on.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge charger. The check engine light is on. I took it to AutoZone and received the following report:

OEM Brand:Chrysler
Definition
BBIncorrect gear ratio
Explanation
BBThe TCM has detected that the transmission is trying to mechanically shift to a lower gear than intended
Probable cause
BB1. - TCM fault
BB2. - Mechanical transmission fault

The car is not shifting correctly. Any insight into what might be wrong would be appreciated.

Tony S
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

There should be a 4 digit "P" code. Did they give you the fault code number?

Also your VIN would help so I can see which transmission you have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is my daughter's car and I wasn't there when she took it to AutoZone. Let me call her and see if I can get the information requested. Thanks.
Ok, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried calling my daughter without success. Is there a way that I can contact you once I receive the information requested? I am new to this forum and am not sure how it works.

Sure, just keep replying to this thread.....don't open a new question.

This question will stay open until you close it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The VIN is 2B3KA43G46H229745. My daughter said that the AutoZone report did not have any "PP" facut codes -- only BB1 and BB2. Does this help you any?

Ok, the VIN is good but my hands are a little bit tied without a specific 4 digit "P" code.

The transmission in your daughters care has proven to be pretty much bullet proof when it comes to mechanical failure.

The biggest issue we have seen is problems with the electro-hydraulic assembly that sits on top of the valve body.

On this assembly are 2 speed sensors (rpm). If these speed sensors fail it can cause gear ratio error codes to set.

There have also been some reports or sticking valves in the valve body causing simialar concerns.

Here's a pic of this assembly........just fyi. #1 and 12 are the speed sensors.

graphic

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Mark. This is a good start. I know your hands are tied without the P codes. I will try a borrow a OBMII sensor from my local Knapp auto store. They have done this for me previously. In the meantime thanks for your time. You have been help. When I do get the P codes is there any way to continue this thread or do I need to post a new question for you? Again, my thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am unsure if I pressed Accept? Can you check or should I press accept again when you respond?

Just keep replying here......be it later today or tomorrow or whenever you can get the code.....don't open a new question.

Hitting the "accept" does not end our conversation either.....in case you are wondering. I'm here until you are satisfied.

Yes, it shows you hit accept.....thanks.........no need to accept again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great. Thanks. Are these speed sensors accessible from underneath the car (i.e., can I see them and gain access to them to remove and replace them) or are they in the "guts" of the tranny? Also, would I need to change both of them?
The sensors are all part of that piece in the pic. In order to change it, the valve body needs to be removed from the trans.......once the pan has been removed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So the pan needs to be removed first and the the valve body. Right? Is this a DIY job or should I bring the car to a professional, in your opinion?

That's correct.

This is probably best left to a shop to do for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Have a nice day.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mark:

I pulled the error codes. Here they are:
P0700 Transmission control system malfunction
P0730 Gear ratio incorrect
P0700 pending
P0730 pending

The relevant freeze data are:
Engine RPM 0RPM
Load Value 0%
Vehicle Speed 0 MPH
Absolute Load 0%
Time since engine start: 00:00 ms

It is unusual to have these freeze data when the codes have to do with the transmission (i.e., the car was not in motion, it appears, when the codes were activated)?

Thanks for the codes.

There is a known issue with a 3-4 shift flare or neutraling out on the 3-4 shift. In most cases this event is accompanied by a P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio code or P1731 Incorrect Gear Engaged code. The cause of this event is ferrous or Aluminum debris in the 3-4 Shift Pressure and/or 3-4 Holding valves.

Replacement of the valve body is going to be needed to correct this condition.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would you know 1) what is the cause of such a metalic deposit, 2) is it indicative of another problem assoicated with the transmission or other componments, 3) are there any recalls related to the problem you described, and 4) would it be covered under a manufactuer warranty (the car has a 3/36 powertrain but the car has 51K miles on it). Also, are there any recall at all assoicated with this vehicle. My Carrepairs.com subscription indicates that there is a recall on the cat converter but the dealer said I was incorrect about it. The car is now at the dealer but it won't be diagnosed until Wednesday. Any help would be appreciated. You have been very helpful thusfar.

Tony

1) I can't honestly say where this comes from.......just that it has been an issue with these valve bodies

2 No this is strictly a valve body issue

3 No, there are no recalls specific to this

4. Unless you have an exteneded warranty, then no it would not be covered

I would need your VIN in order to tell you if there are any outstanding recalls on your specific vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your rapid reply.

Here is the VIN: 2B3KA43G46H229745

Tony

Ok, there are no outstanding recalls for that vin.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Mark.

The dealer extended my daughter a courtesy and took a look at the car today. They just called and said that there is an internal leak in the tranny leaking onto a wire harness or some kind. The leak needs to be fixed and tranny fluid needs to be replaced ~ $170. He also said there were two other things unrelated to the tranny -- power sterring line is starting to leak and the drive belt tensioner is loose causing uneven belt wear. Repair costs are ~$190 and ~$150, respectively.

Tony

Alright, hopefully that will take care of things for you then.