sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 Dodge Dakota SLT: 4.7 L 4X4 ABS and Parking Brake Lights

2004 Dodge Dakota SLT W/4.7 L 4X4
ABS and Parking Brake Lights on the Information Center stay on - otherwise,
everything else seems to be working - what is the repair problem?
Thanks.........
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There is some sort of problem that the ABS module has picked up on. The first things to do would be to check fuses, and check the brake fluid level. If there are any leaks in the system the lights will come on and set a failure code for "foundation brake" because there is a pressure drop in the system. Also check out the wiring to the front speed sensors at the wheels, and the rear speed sensor on top of the rear differential. if this is all ok, the next step would be to have the failure codes read with an ABS module capable scan tool or special ABS code reader. If the light is on there are codes stored to tell you what direction to go to diagnose it. There are near 40 different codes that can set.

Keep in mind that when the ABS light is on the system will be disabled, so until you get it fixed you won't have any ABS. If you stop fast and the brakes lock they will stay locked just like if you didn't have ABS.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The lights came on the day after I towed my boat in heavy stop and go traffic. I also replaced two of the brake calipers a few months ago. I'm going to check the fluid level. I'd like to think the speed sensor wiring would be ok.

I would definitely recheck the fluid level, go over all of the lines and fittings and make sure there aren't any leaks. Any leak can cause this.

Hopefully the wiring is ok. Sometimes it can get hit with road debris, and I've also seen heat from sticking calipers take sensors out too. Look for any signs of damage all the way down to the sensor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the fluid - it was low - filled the master cylinder and the lights went off - have to wait until tomorrow to check the lines for leaks since everything is wet from rain. A warning light that would state "Low Brake Fluid" or "Brake Fluid" would have made things easier. I will check back tomorrow after I check the lines - thanks.
The brake light will come on by itself if the fluid is just low, but when there is a pressure drop it will turn the ABS light on too. You may not have noticed it, but the pedal is probably a bit softer than it should be. It sounds like you do have a leak, and I'd have to recommend against driving it until you do find where that fluid went and get it taken care of. Let me know the outcome tomorrow!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks......