Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

i have a 97 dodge neon that wont start. It cranks over but

Customer Question

i have a 97 dodge neon that wont start. It cranks over but no power to coil and no fuel pressure at fuel rail. I put a scanning tool in the port under dash and there is no power to the port for my diagnostic tool. I first changed the crankcase pos sensor but still no luck. Does anyone think it might be an ignition switch? Does anyone have any suggestions? I hope it is not the brain.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Is the Fuel Pump Fuse good in the fuse box under the hood? It should have batt+ always.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes all the fuses are good
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, do you have power at the fuel pump fuse, check with a test light.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it does have power. The car wont even try to start with either starting fluid.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, check for power to ground at the OBD2 connector on the bottom right pin which is #16
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you talking about the relay panel or fuse panel on the side of the dash?
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
At the connector that you plug your scanner into.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will check that. Like I wrote when I plugged my diagnostic tool in it would not even power up. Then I tried it on my truck and it worked fine. If this has no juice pin 16 does that mean my ecu is shot?
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
No, it means that the wiring between the obd2 connector and the fuel pump fuse is damaged. Try running a jumper from the wire behind #16 to the fuel pump fuse and see if it runs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this even fuel related? It wont even try to start with starting fluid. If no fuel does the computer shut off spark/
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
If you have no power at #16 at the obd connector, that means that the computer dosent have power also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

does my clock and radio work off my ecu? Because they still work. time memory it all

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
No they arent on the same circut. Could you try the jumper or test for power at the connector?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will try a jumper and I will get back in the a.m thanks anthony
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, sounds good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my neon died all of a sudden and wouldent start back up went back a half an hour later and started but did the same twenty minites later puled codes but every passed