sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

99 dodge durango: 5.9L..the 99 5.2L have camshaft position sensor

I have looked every where for camshaft position sensor for a 99 dodge durango 5.2L. I have found them for the 5.9L or a 2000 are these the same things? does the 99 5.2L have camshaft position sensor, if so, Do you know where I can buy one? Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The camshaft position sensor on these engines is the pickup plate under the distributor cap. The 5.2 and 5.9 pickup plates are going to be the same. I don't know the exact years that will be the same, but I would estimate they will be the same from about 1998 to 2003 when the 5.9 disappeared. The best place, the only place I would recommend getting one, is your dealer. I've seen way too many problems with aftermarket cam and crank sensors to ever recommend them to anyone or buy one myself. I have seen multiple brand new sensors out of the box that were bad, I just replaced a brand new aftermarket crank sensor yesterday for ignition break up and dying problems. Your dealer may have it in stock, if not they should be able to get it next day. It won't be that much more expensive than an aftermarket one, and you'll only have to replace it once!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have looked for the camshaft position sensor sensor on the dealerships website. However, it just keeps coming up with crankshaft position sensor and throttleposition sensor. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor the day bfeore yesterday.

It might be listed as pickup coil. I can't remember the exact description of it in the parts catalog. It's there for sure though! I've found it on www.moparonlineparts.com for $45.98 for the Mopar sensor. It's listed as pickup coil there. Go to the site and put in the vehicle information, go to electrical, ignition, and you will see distributor is listed twice. Click on the bottom distributor link, you'll find pickup coil is the second one down.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awesome, Thank you for the verbage. This has been driving me nuts!

Your welcome! It probably was driving you nuts. It can be called the cam sensor, pickup plate, pickup coil, etc. The service manual terminology sometimes doesn't agree with the scan tool, and them parts guys never know what we're talking about. Good luck with your Durango!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This thing loks like I have to take the the distributer out to replace it.

Oh, no. You just have to pull the cap. Pull the two screws out that hold the cap down, pull the rotor off the shaft and it slides right up. No need to do anything with the rest of the distributor. You can change it in ten minutes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
10 roger, thanks, I'll give it a shot. Hope it works...

You should be fine, it's not major. Good luck!