Chris
Chris, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Chrysler certified
19260407

2000 dodge neon: if i was to put a turbo kit

if i was to put a turbo kit on a 2000 dodge neon what do you think i should do to the motor to make it performe and not break.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Depends on how much boost you want to put through it. If you just doing a stage one kit leaving it stock should be fine, But if your doing something like a stage 3 kit you should sleeve the cylinders, forged pistons along with high performance rod amd main bearing. Im not sure if it will come with it but you would laso need to do Bigger injector and mabye a high flow fuel pump. An intake manifold with bigger runners for more air, and a Header to get it to breath better. You also will need a tougher head gasket which I belive a good kit will come with it to handle the extra boost. Like i said it all depends on how much boost you want to pump through it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found Stage 2 Turbo Kit for the 420a SOHC or DOHC Neon it comes with
TD05-16G-10CM2 Turbochargers, manifold, intake and piping, fuel system, oiling system, blow off valve, front mount intercooler or side mount intercooler depending on kit, intercooler piping, all installation hardware, gaskets, couplers and clamps..
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
How much boos are you planning to put trhough it and what is your milage on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
9lbs and 122178mil i might get the motor rebuild if it calls for it.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
9lbs is not that much, I wouldnt do the sleeving or the pistons, but it wouldnt be a bad idea to rebuild it while your at it, just so you know your piston rings will hold up with the boost and you dont get any leakage though the pistons or blo piston rings out. But as for the forged pistons and high performance breaing i wouldnt worry about, thats only if you were planning on putting 20+lbs through it.
Chris, Dodge Technician
Experience: Chrysler certified