Mike, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  19yrs Automotive and Bus experience. Owner/Operator/Tech of Auto repair facility

2001 Dodge Intrepid: the charging system..battery and the alternator

Customer Question

My 2001 Dodge Intrepid has a 2.7 engine. The problem I am having is the the charging system is not up to snuff. I have taken the battery and the alternator to two different places to get checked, all was good. I cleaned up all connections to battery and alternator and when they put the machine to read what the charging system is doing, it says it has a low output and that it is only charging to about 12.6 volts. It takes about 2-3 days before I have to charge the battery again, Is there anything else I could check before I just break down and take it to the shop?
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
From what you are describeing the alternator is bad. If you have the ability, Replace it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But I took the alternator to two different places and they both said that the alternator was good.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
You cant allways trust those tests at the parts store. If the valternator is only putting out 12.6 volts when the engine is running, its bad.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
The only other possibility I can think of in your situation is that the computer is bad, because the computer is the voltage regulator. But problems like that rarely happen and are extremely hard to diagnose and extremely expensive. Alternators go bad all the time.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Let me get back with you on this. I just can't see spending 100+ on an alternator and my old alternator still working fine. Napa took a new alternator and put it through the same bench test and the results were the same.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Ok Goodluck!