TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2000 Chrysler Sebring: convertible..the water pump..leaks..timing belt

I have a 2000 Chrysler Sebring JXI Covertible w/ the 2.5 V6 - The water transfer tube from the back of the water pump to the thermostat housing has rotted and leaks. Can I replace the tube
without getting into the timing belt issue. perhaps by removing the stat housing side to free up the tube?

Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.

hello, we have tried multiple ways to do this without removing everything-- no luck at all -- the heads will need to be removed to access the waterpump, etc,tim

1 - O-RING
2 - GASKET
3 - WATER PUMP
4 - O-RING
5 - INLET PIPE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have reviewed Chrysler info and it doesn't say anything about removing the heads, I would like to know what the thermostat side of the tube/o ring goes into, the block or the back of the stat housing. If, as you say the pump has to come off, please describe the procedure/belt alignment issues? Thanks
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.
1 - THERMOSTAT HOUSING
2 - VENT INSTALLED UPWARD
3 - THERMOSTAT
4 - COOLANT INLET ELBOW

IT GOES TO THE BACK OF THE HOUSING

WATER PUMP - 2.5L ENGINE

REMOVAL

1. Drain cooling system. .
  2. Remove right engine mount and bracket.
  3. Remove timing belt. .
  4. Remove water pump mounting bolts.
  5. Separate pump from water inlet pipe

CAUTION: The 2.5L engine is a Non-freewheeling design. When the timing belt is removed, DO NOT rotate the camshafts or crankshaft without first locating the proper crankshaft position. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

REMOVAL

1. Remove timing belt covers. Refer to procedure in this section.
  2. Mark timing belt running direction for installation
  3. Loosen timing belt tensioner center bolt and remove auto tensioner.
  4. Remove timing belt

1 - CAMSHAFT SPROCKETS ALIGN TO TIMING MARKS
2 - WATER PUMP PULLEY
3 - IDLER PULLEY
4 - CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET ALIGN TO TIMING MARK
5 - AUTO TENSIONER
6 - TENSIONER PULLEY

1 - TIMING MARKS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tim, just one more question, if the stat housing side of the tube goes into the thermostat housing why can't I remove the housing and access the tube from the stat side, I would be removing both upper & lower intake manifolds as well, Thanks for all your help
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.
there is not enough room to get it all of the way out -- you can try it -- because you will be removing that anyways -- then you will see what i am talking about -- they built it like a chinese puzzle -- almost enough room,tim
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS