Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

2000 Dodge Neon: 256,000 miles..driving down..road..Checked fuel pump

My 2000 Dodge Neon with 256,000 miles shut off while driving down the road. Checked fuel pump - - O.K. Put new coil pack on.   Engine will fire one time and thats all. Timing belt is O.K.

What could be wrong?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

That really does sound like a cam-crank sensor timing conflict. Have you checked codes yet?
Did you align the marks on the timing belt and crank?

Talk shortly,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no i did not , how do i check the code.

the only light on is the check engine which has been on for a while

I'm not 100% sure if it will work on your 2000, but let's give it a shot.

Roll the key from off to on three times, leaving it on. Watch the odometer window of the cluster for code display, followed by "P-done", meaning the test was successful and it's concluded. If it doesn't work at first, try it using different cadences on the key speed and even turning the key all the way back to the LOCK position as you switch to off.

The Caravan and Intrepid lines used the same SBEC3 controller as yours and didn't support this feature in 2000... but it might just work.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That took the check eng. light off . the car still will not start do I need a new crank sensor or timing belt?
Hmmmmm.... It shouldn't have changed the CE light at all! This is just a code-read feature and won't erase codes no matter what. But I guess it didn't display codes... that right?

Try this.

Since we can't extract codes anyway, disconnect the cam sensor connector and try to start the engine. I'm mostly-sure that this model year has the capacity to run with the crank sensor only, so if the reason it won't start is that there's a timing conflict... removing the conflict should get the engine running again.

It will take close to ten seconds of continuous cranking to convince the PCM to switch to Plan B (no cam signal) before it will start. If it does start, you'll be looking at either a bad cam sensor or a timing belt problem.

Try the code read feature one more time before doing this, as you'll set a P0340 code by disconnecting the sensor and we won't know if it was there before or not.

You'll find the cam sensor at the far back end of the cylinder head, just to the right of the battery. It may be necessary to remove the battery to get the room needed to access the connector, which has a red slide-lock that has to be clicked to its opposite position before the release will work. The slide lock doesn't have to come out... just get clicked to a position even with the connector mold.

Good luck!