vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

how do I adjust the bands in a 1997 dodge ram 2500 auto tr

how do I adjust the bands in a 1997 dodge ram 2500 auto transmission
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 5 years ago.

Good evening, if you have the VIN of the vehicle please let me know so that I can find out what trans you have and what engine size. The band adjustment procedure is the same for all of them except for the number of turns to back off, Here is the procedure:

BAND ADJUSTMENTS

FRONT BAND ADJUSTMENT

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary

1. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with Inch Pound Torque Wrench C-3380-A, a 3-in. extension and 5/16 socket.

CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw , tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.

46RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.
  • Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
47RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off front band adjusting screw 1-7/8 turns.
  1. Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
  3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
  4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.

46RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.
  • Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
47RE TRANSMISSION
  • Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
  1. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
  2. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF Plus, Type 7176 fluid.

Once you get me the VIN, I will get back with the trans size you have which is either a 46RE or a 47RE, most likely the 47RE but lets be sure first.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

vin# XXXXX

5.8 L turbo diesel

...and the winner is 47RE so follow the directions for this trans when performing the adjustment.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified