Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2005 Dodge: 2500 4x4..the fuel filter changed..anything special

We have a 2005 Dodge Diesel 2500 4x4 we have never had the fuel filter changed. My husband thanks that it needs to be changed because it has 86000 miles on it. How hard is this to do and is there anything special that he needs to know befor he does it. I have heard of not being able to start your pk after this because of air in the lines.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

The fuel filter is real easy to replace on these trucks. First you need to put a drain pan under front axle then turn the fuel filter drain valve lever open to drain the fuel out of the housing. Then you should use compressed air to blow around the top of the filter housing. You can then loosen the cap by using a 11/8" socket. Remove cap and filter, then install new filter in cap by snapping it in with the hole in filter facing out. Install the new o-ring on cap and thread the cap back in the housing. It is supposed to be torque to 25 ft lbs, but you can just snug it on. It doesn't have to be real tight. Then turn drain valve lever closed. Then all you have to do is just bump the key to the start position and leave key on for 25 seconds, then repeat this again. After 25 seconds you can start the truck. Here is a picture of the filter. I hope I have helped and If you have anymore questions feel free. Thanks!

REMOVAL

1 - FILTER HOUSING
2 - FUEL HEATER AND THERMOSTAT
3 - FUEL HEATER MOUNTING SCREWS
4 - FUEL HEATER ELEC. CONNECTOR
5 - WIF SENSOR
6 - WIF SENSOR ELEC. CONNECTOR
7 - DRAIN HOSE
8 - DRAIN VALVE MOUNTING SCREWS
9 - DRAIN VALVE

Refer to maintenance schedules in this manual, or the Owner's Manual for recommended fuel filter replacement intervals.

Draining water from fuel filter/water separator housing:

The housing drain valve (9) (FILTER HOUSING) serves two purposes. One is to partially drain the filter housing of excess water. The other is to completely drain the housing for fuel filter, drain valve, heater element or water-in-fuel sensor replacement.

The filter housing should be partially drained whenever the water-in-fuel warning lamp remains illuminated. (Note that lamp will be illuminated for approximately two seconds when ignition key is initially placed in ON position for a bulb check).

1. A drain hose (7) (FILTER HOUSING) is located at the bottom of drain valve. Place drain pan under drain hose.
  2. With engine not running, rotate drain valve handle counter-clockwise (rearward) to OPEN (DRAIN) position. Hold drain valve open until all water and contaminants have been removed and clean fuel exits.
  3. If drain valve, fuel heater element or Water-In-Fuel (WIF) sensor is being replaced, drain housing completely. Dispose of mixture in drain pan according to applicable regulations.
  4. After draining operation, rotate valve handle clockwise (forward) to the CLOSE position.

1 - FILTER COVER
    2 - ATTACH SOCKET HERE

5. Fuel Filter Replacement: The fuel filter is located inside of the fuel filter housing.
    1. Clean all debris from around canister.
    2. Remove filter lid (1) using a socket. Attach socket to large hex (2) on top of lid. Rotate counterclockwise for removal. Remove O-ring. Discard O-ring.
    3. Remove filter element by twisting element sideways from filter lid.

1 - FILTER HOUSING
    2 - FUEL HEATER AND THERMOSTAT
    3 - FUEL HEATER MOUNTING SCREWS
    4 - FUEL HEATER ELEC. CONNECTOR
    5 - WIF SENSOR
    6 - WIF SENSOR ELEC. CONNECTOR
    7 - DRAIN HOSE
    8 - DRAIN VALVE MOUNTING SCREWS
    9 - DRAIN VALVE

6. Water-In-Fuel (WIF) Sensor Replacement: The WIF sensor (5) is located on the side of the fuel filter housing.
    1. Disconnect electrical connector at sensor.
    2. Clean area around sensor.
    3. Remove sensor by rotating counterclockwise.
    4. Check condition of sensor O-ring. Replace if damaged.

1 - FILTER HOUSING
    2 - FUEL HEATER AND THERMOSTAT
    3 - FUEL HEATER MOUNTING SCREWS
    4 - FUEL HEATER ELEC. CONNECTOR
    5 - WIF SENSOR
    6 - WIF SENSOR ELEC. CONNECTOR
    7 - DRAIN HOSE
    8 - DRAIN VALVE MOUNTING SCREWS
    9 - DRAIN VALVE

7. Fuel Heater Element Replacement: The heater element (2) is located in the fuel filter housing (FILTER HOUSING).
    1. Remove fuel filter. See previous steps.
    2. Disconnect electrical connector.
    3. Remove two T-15 Torx head mounting screws (3) from fuel heater element.
    4. Remove fuel heater.

1 - FILTER HOUSING
    2 - FUEL HEATER AND THERMOSTAT
    3 - FUEL HEATER MOUNTING SCREWS
    4 - FUEL HEATER ELEC. CONNECTOR
    5 - WIF SENSOR
    6 - WIF SENSOR ELEC. CONNECTOR
    7 - DRAIN HOSE
    8 - DRAIN VALVE MOUNTING SCREWS
    9 - DRAIN VALVE

8. Drain Valve Replacement: The drain valve assembly (9) is located on the side of the fuel filter housing (FILTER HOUSING).
    1. Disconnect drain hose (7) from the fuel drain valve.
    2. Remove 4 drain valve mounting screws (T-15 Torx head) (8).
    3. Remove drain valve from filter housing.
  9. Remove the screened banjo bolt (9) that is located on the bottom of the fuel filter housing. It attaches the Injection Pump supply line to the fuel filter housing
Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.