JD, Vehicle Repair Consultant
Experience:  10+ years mechanical experience on many Makes and Models
16040521

Replace the shoes on rear drum brakes for a 2007 dodge caliber?

how do I replace the shoes on rear drum brakes for a 2007 dodge caliber?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomerand thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com!

Below are the replacement procedures for your vehicle's rear brake shoes and linings. Let me know if you need further assistance with this repair.

REMOVAL:

Raise and support the vehicle
Remove the wheel mounting nuts, then the rear tire and wheel assembly
Remove the brake drum
Remove the lower shoe spring
Compress and remove the hold-down spring retaining the rear shoe to the support plate
Pull the rear shoe away from the anchor allowing better access to the parking brake cable connection at the lever
Compress the cable return spring, then reomve the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever
Compress and remove the hold-down spring retaining the front shoe to the support plate
Remove both brake shoes from the wheel cylinder
Remove both shoes and remaining parts as an assembly through the opening between the wheel cylinder and support plate hub and bearing
Place the shoe assembly outboard-side-up on a flat surface
Remove the adjuster spring from the leading shoe and the lever pawl
Remove the lever pawl from the pivot on the rear shoe
Flip the shoe assembly over to show the inboard side
Remove the upper shoe return spring
Remove the adjuster from the shoes and parking brake lever

INSTALLATION:

Lubricate shoe contact areas on support plate and anchor using Mopar Brake Lubricant (or equivalent)
Lubricate the adjuster screw threads with same lubricant. Turn adjuster wheel in until it is completely seated
Place on front shoe and one rear shoe inboard-side-up on a flat surface (rear sho has parking brake lever attached to it)
Install the adjuster, adjuster wheel toward the rear, between the two brake shoes. Make sure the wide notch in the rear fork aligns with the parking brake lever
Install the upper return spring as shown in diagram below
Flip shoe assembly over to show the outboard side
Install the lever pawl onto the pivot located on the rear shoe
Install the adjuster spring between the front shoe and the lever pawl
Install the pre-assembled brake shoe assembly through the opening between wheel cylinder and support plate hub and bearing
Insert the upper tips of the brake shoes into the grooves of the wheel cylinder pistons
Position the bottom of the front shoe against the anchor pin
Install a shoe hold-down pin from the rear, through the support plate and the front shoe
Compress and install the hold-down spring retaining the front shoe to the support plate
Compress the parking brake cable return spring, then carefully install the cable onto the parking brake lever. Releasing the spring guiding it beneath the retaining tab on the lever
Position the bottom of the rear shoe against the anchor pin
Install a shoe hold-down pin from the rear, through the support plate and the rear shoe
Compress and install the hold-down spring retaining the rear shoe to the support plate
Install the lower shoe spring
Adjust the brake shoes to the drum diameter using a brake shoe gauge
Install the brake drum
Install the tire and wheel assembly
Slowly rotate both rear wheels and verify that the brake drums LIGHTLY drag on the shoes.
Lower the vehicle and road test stopping in both forward and reverse directions. The automatic-adjuster will continue to adjust brakes as necessary during road test.

graphic

JD, Vehicle Repair Consultant
Experience: 10+ years mechanical experience on many Makes and Models