Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

I am about to change the timing belt on my 1996 dodge caravan

Customer Question

I am about to change the timing belt on my 1996 dodge caravan and there appears to be 2 notches on the crankshaft pulley. I need to align the notch with the 0 mark on the engine to establish TDC. Which of the 2 notches do I use? I thoght there should be only 1 notch in the pulley.
Thanks for any input.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a 4cyl 2.4l or a 6cyl 3.0l Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry about that. It is a 3.0

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Here is the service procedure, I hope it helps any more questions feel free, Thanks

1. Remove the upper front outer timing belt cover by loosening the three attaching bolts Timing Belt Covers .
  2. Inspect both sides of the timing belt drive & back. Replace belt if any of the following conditions exist.
    • Rubber back side is glossy, hardened back without resilience and leaves no indent when pressed with fingernail.
    • Cracks on rubber back.
    • Cracks or peeling of canvas.
    • Cracks on rib root.
    • Missing teeth.
    • The sides are normal if they are sharp as if cut by a knife Timing Belt Inspection

NOTE: If none of the above conditions are seen on the belt, the belt cover can be reinstalled.

1. Mark belt running direction for installation Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing .
  2. Loosen timing belt tensioner bolt Timing Belt Tensioner and remove timing belt.
  3. Remove crankshaft sprocket flange shield Timing Belt System .

To remove camshaft sprockets

• Hold camshaft sprocket with Spanner Tool MB990775 loosen and remove bolt and washer Camshaft Sprockets .
  • Remove camshaft sprocket from camshaft.

To install camshaft sprockets

• Place camshaft sprocket on camshaft.
  • Install bolt and washer to camshaft. Using Spanner Tool MB990775 hold camshaft sprocket and torque bolt to 95 N·m (70 ft. lbs.) Camshaft Sprockets .

1. Install timing belt tensioner and tensioner spring.
  2. Hook spring upper end to water pump pin and lower end to tensioner bracket with hook out Timing Belt Tensioner .
  3. Turn timing belt tensioner counter-clockwise full travel in adjustment slot and tighten bolt to temporarily hold this position Positioning Belt Tensioner .

1. Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket first and while keeping belt tight on tension side Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing install belt on the front (radiator side) camshaft sprocket.
  2. Then, install on the water pump pulley and on the rear camshaft sprocket and finally on the timing belt tensioner.
  3. Apply rotating force to the front camshaft sprocket in opposite direction to tension the belt tension side, check that all timing marks are lined up Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing .
  4. Install crankshaft sprocket flange Timing Belt System .
  5. Loosen tensioner bolt and allow spring to tension timing belt.
  6. Turn crankshaft two full turns in clockwise direction. Turn smoothly and in clockwise direction ONLY.
  7. Again line up the timing marks on the sprockets and tighten the timing belt tensioner locking bolt to 25 N·m (250 in. lbs.) torque.
  8. Reassembly belt covers, engine bracket, insulator, crankshaft pulleys, accessories and accessory drive belts in reverse order.