Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Transmission slow to engage after truck sets up awhile

transmission slow to engage after truck sets up awhile
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Dodge?
-What model is your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2006 dodge ram 1500 4x2 / 5.7 hemi /already changed both filters and fluid
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

There have been some problems with the filters on them. They have a bulletin on them. You will want to be sure that the updated filter has been installed in it.

NUMBER: 21-015-05

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: September 01, 2005

SUBJECT:
45RFE / 545RFE Trans - Delayed Engagement Due To Cooler Return Filter Replacement

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves a transmission delayed shift condition that may occur following the replacement of the internal cooler return filter.

MODELS:

2000 - 2004 (AN) Dakota 2000 - 2003 (DN) Durango 2003 - 2006 (DR) Ram Truck 2004 - 2006 (HB) Durango 2002 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty 1999 - 2004 (WJ/WG) Grand Cherokee 2005 - 2006 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee 2006 (XK) Commander

NOTE : This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 45RFE or a 545RFE automatic transmission (sales code DG4 or DGQ respectively).

DISCUSSION:

The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is first selected after engine start.

The customer may not have experienced the delayed shift engagement until after the transmission has been serviced, where the cooler return filter was replaced during the service and/or repair.

The condition is not detrimental to the transmission but may cause concern with the customer.

The above condition may be caused by a suspect cooler return filter a part number of 04799662AB. This "AB" suffix / level filter may allow transmission fluid to drain back out of the torque converter. The drain back condition may occur over a period time when the engine (and transmission) are not running. With less fluid in the torque converter a delay in gear engagement may occur at engine start up while the torque converter fills to its proper fluid level.

All 04799662AB cooler return filters with the "AB" suffix are suspect. The above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect "AB" filter with a new cooler return filter whose part number is XXXXX (with no suffix or with a suffix that is other than the "AB" level).

NOTE :The cooler return filter, p/n 04799662, will not be available until September 09, 2005. The filter part number is XXXXX on the side of the filter case.

graphic

NOTE :A replacement 04799662 cooler return filter may come packaged with a separate threaded adapter stud. The threaded adapter stud is used to attach the cooler return filter to the transmission. Inspect the stud and note end without threads. Install the stud end without the threads into the cooler return filter and tighten the stud-to-filter connection to 18.6 Nm (165 in. lbs.). Once the threaded adapter stud has been installed to the cooler return filter, install the assembled cooler return filter to the transmission and tighten the filter to 14.1 Nm (125 in. lbs.)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had the problem and thought if i replaced the filters it would fix the problem it did not.is there any there any thing i may not have done or could have done to resolve the problem & will it affect the tranny in the further if i don't take any further action
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
According to the bulletin, no problems from it. You will just want to warm the vehicle up a little each first start. Of course, that the trans is full and as long as it shifts good and goes into gear after it warms up there should be no problems.
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech