TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

I need to replace a brake booster and brake master cylinder

Customer Question

I need to replace a brake booster and brake master cylinder on a 1999 dodge caravan 3.3L.
could you give me the step by step instructions on doing so and your personal expertise since I'm sure you have done this before basically any tips. Could you also tell me Alldata or "book time" calls to do this job. How many hrs.
Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.

POWER BRAKE BOOSTER (3.3L/3.8L ENGINE)

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Reserve vacuum in the booster must be pumped down (removed) before removing master cylinder from vacuum booster. This is necessary to prevent the vacuum booster from sucking in any contamination as the master cylinder is removed. This can be done simply by pumping the brake pedal, with the vehicle's engine not running, until a firm feeling brake pedal is achieved.

1. With engine not running, pump the brake pedal until a firm pedal is achieved (4-5 strokes)
  2. Remove both battery cables from battery.
  3. Remove the battery thermal guard and the battery from the battery tray.
  4. Remove the air inlet resonator and hoses as an assembly from the throttle body and air cleaner housing.
  5. If vehicle is equipped with speed control, unplug wiring harness connector from the speed control servo. Then disconnect vacuum lines from the speed control servo and vacuum reservoir on battery tray.
  6. Remove bolt attaching the speed control servo bracket to the battery tray. Slide the bracket forward to unhook it from the battery tray and remove.
  7. Remove the 2 bolts and the nut attaching the battery tray to the body of the vehicle
  8. Remove the wiring harness connector from the EGR valve transducer
  9. Remove wiring harness connectors from throttle position sensor and AIS motor on throttle body
  10. Remove the 2 bolts attaching the throttle body to the intake manifold and the clip attaching the wiring harness to the throttle cable bracket. Then remove the throttle body and throttle cable bracket as an assembly from the intake manifold
  11. Remove wiring harness connector from brake fluid level sensor in master cylinder fluid reservoir
  12. Clean the area where the master cylinder assembly attaches to the power brake booster. Use only a solvent such as Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner or an equivalent.
  13. Remove clip, attaching drain hose for wiper module to brake tube at master cylinder. Remove drain hose from wiper module. Remove the 2 nuts, attaching the master cylinder to the vacuum booster

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the brake tubes from the master cylinder when removing the master cylinder from the vacuum booster.

14. Remove master cylinder and brake tubes as an assembly from the vacuum booster. When master cylinder is removed, lay it out of the way on top of the left motor mount
  15. Remove the EGR Valve and the vacuum transducer as an assembly from the intake manifold
  16. Disconnect vacuum hose from check valve located on vacuum booster. DO NOT REMOVE CHECK VALVE FROM POWER BRAKE BOOSTER.
  17. Locate the vacuum booster input rod to brake pedal connection under the instrument panel. Position a small screwdriver between the center tang on the power brake booster input rod to brake pedal pin retaining clip
  18. Rotate screwdriver enough to allow retaining clip center tang to pass over end of brake pedal pin. Then pull retaining clip off brake pedal pin. Discard retaining clip. It is not to be reused. Replace only with a new retaining clip when assembling.
  19. Remove the 4 nuts attaching the power brake vacuum booster to the dash panel. Nuts are accessible from under dash panel in area of the steering column and pedal bracket assembly.
  20. From outside the vehicle, slide power brake vacuum booster forward until its mounting studs clear dash panel. Then tilt the booster up and toward the center of vehicle to remove

CAUTION: Do not attempt to disassemble the power brake vacuum booster it is to be serviced ONLY as a complete assembly.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: When installing the power brake vacuum booster in the vehicle be sure the heater hoses do not become trapped between the booster and the dash panel of the vehicle.

1. Position vacuum booster on dash panel using the reverse procedure of its removal.
  2. Install the 4 nuts mounting the vacuum booster to the dash panel. Tighten the 4 mounting nuts to a torque of 29 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
  3. Using lubriplate, or an equivalent, coat the surface of the brake pedal pin where it contacts the vacuum booster input rod

CAUTION: When installing the brake pedal pin on the power brake vacuum booster input rod, do not re-use the old retaining clip.

4. Install vacuum booster input rod on brake pedal pin and install a NEW retaining clip
  5. Connect the vacuum hose on the check valve in the power brake vacuum booster.
  6. Install EGR Valve and vacuum transducer on the intake manifold. Install and tighten the 2 EGR valve mounting bolts to a torque of 22 N·m (200 in. lbs.)

CAUTION: The master cylinder is used to create the seal for holding vacuum in the vacuum booster. The vacuum seal on the master cylinder MUST be replaced with a NEW seal whenever the master cylinder is removed from the vacuum booster.

CAUTION: When removing the vacuum seal from the master cylinder do not use a sharp tool.

7. Using a soft tool such as a trim stick, remove the vacuum seal from the master cylinder mounting flange.
  8. Install a NEW vacuum seal on mounting flange of the master cylinder
  9. Position master cylinder on studs of vacuum booster, aligning push rod on vacuum booster with master cylinder piston.
  10. Install the 2 nuts mounting the master cylinder to the vacuum booster Tighten both mounting nuts to a torque of 25 N·m (225 in. lbs.)
  11. Install the wiper module drain hose on the wiper module. Install the tie strap attaching the wiper module drain hose to brake tube at the master cylinder. Tie strap should be loosely tightened so as not to collapse the wiper module drain hose.
  12. Install the wiring harness connector on the brake fluid level sensor in the master cylinder fluid reservoir
  13. Install the throttle body and throttle cable bracket on the intake manifold. Install the 2 boltsattaching the throttle body to the intake manifold and tighten to a torque of 25 N·m (225 in. lbs.) Install clip attaching the wiring harness to the throttle cable bracket.
  14. Install the wiring harness connectors on the throttle position sensor and the AIS motor on throttle body
  15. Install the wiring harness connector on the EGR valve transducer.
  16. Install the battery tray. Install the 2 bolts and the nut attaching the battery tray to the vehicle. Tighten the 2 bolts and the nut to a torque of 14 N·m (125 in lbs.)
  17. If vehicle is equipped with speed control, install the speed control servo and bracket on the battery tray. Install and securely tighten bolt attaching bracket to battery tray.
  18. If vehicle is equipped with speed control, install the wiring harness connector on the speed control servo. Then connect the vacuum lines onto the speed control servo and vacuum reservoir on battery tray.
  19. Install the air inlet resonator and hoses as an assembly on the throttle body and air cleaner housing. Securely tighten hose clamp at air cleaner housing and throttle body.
  20. Install the battery and the battery thermal guard.
  21. Install the battery cables on the battery.
  22. Check the operation of the stop lamp switch and adjust if necessry

labor time is approx 1 hour -- add an hour if equipped with rear a/c ,tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Tim,
I should have asked you the first time so I'll ask now. I have a real hard brake pedal do you agree that the brake booster is bad?
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.
sorry for the delay -- yes,tim