quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler
17227360

I am having problems with my ac in my 2005 Dodge Durango.

I am having problems with my ac in my 2005 Dodge Durango. The ac switch to the front of the vehicle is no longer working. The back switch works just fine and the ac blows very cold and perfectly fine in the back but the front isn't putting out anything anymore. Could this be electrical or should i just replace the switch?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.
hello, is the front blower blowing any air at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No nothing at all.
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

if the front blower isnt moving any air at all in any speed the most likely problem is going to be a blower motor resistor.below i have included the wireing diagram i assumed that you had manual control and not the auto temp control system. you want to check the fuse indicated first then id check at the blower motor for ground in the different speed settings to verify that the resistor is in fact the problem.

815355f4

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The blower motor resistor is not just the same as replacing the blower motor itself right? How can i be sure it's the blower motor? I was hoping for it to be the switch, but no such luck i guess....Are you sure it's not an electrical problem?

Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

the blower resistor is an electrical issue, its wired before the blower motor and is not part of the blower motor. the control head sends ground to the blower resistor on 4or 5 wires depending on the number of speeds you have, depending on the speed selected different resistors are used internally in the blower motor resistor to chage the blower speed., check the fuse first and then most likely youll need a blower motor resistor as they are common issue on all vehicles.

below is the removal procedure for the blower resistor.

REMOVAL

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

WARNING: The blower motor resistor may get very hot during normal operation. If the blower motor was turned on prior to servicing the blower motor resistor, wait five minutes to allow the blower motor resistors to cool before performing diagnosis or service. Failure to take this precaution can result in possible personal injury.

CAUTION: Do not operate the blower motor with the blower motor resistor removed from the circuit. Failure to take this precaution can result in vehicle damage.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the two screws (1) that secure the trim cover (2) over the blower motor resistor (3) located below the right side of the instrument panel.
  3. Remove the trim cover.

4. Disconnect the wire harness connector (1) from the blower motor resistor (2).
  5. Remove the two screws (3) that secure the blower motor resistor to the front HVAC housing.
  6. Remove the blower motor resistor from the front HVAC housing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you please estimate how much this will cost me to do?

Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

if you replace the resistor your self, the resistor from the dealer could run you $20-$50.

and if you have it replaced at the dealer they shouldnt charge more then 1 hour labor times whatever the labor rate is at your dealer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there a test that they can run on my vehicle to be sure it is the resistor before i replace it all together? And if there is a test what is it called?

Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

the only test would be to disconnect the electrical connector at the blower motor and check for power on the one wire, if there is power there then hook up the test light to the power and ground wire there and see if it illuminates in any of the speeds, if it does then you would need a blower motor, if it doesnt replace the resistor.

honestly the blower resistor is a very commonly failed item and that is most likely going to be the problem.

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years chrysler