quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler

1997 dodge ram 1500: I manually open the hood..latch..pulling

can I manually open the hood from the outside if the latch is broken and won't engage by pulling it from the inside ? This is a 1997 dodge ram 1500 pick-up
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

hello yes you can the easiest way is to look through the grille and look at where the cable attaches, try and get a long curved pick or maybe a screwdriver and pry over on the latch where the cable attaches, i just looked at my 97 and its not going to be easy but i think you should be able to get it open.

what part is broken by the way?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the cable is broken where it attaches to the latch at the grill side of the truck, will a screwdriver or pick still work ?
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.
yeah a screwdriver or pick will still work, unfortunately if you cant get you may have to bust out a section of your grill to get access to it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a diagram of the latch under the hood so I'll know where to try to open it ?
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.
give me a second ill see if i can come up with a pic
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

here is a pic of the latch i hope this helps.

quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years chrysler