Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

What is the Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System..alarm system

What is the Sentry Key(R) Theft Deterrent System? And should I purchase an additional alarm system?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

The Sentry key system (SKIM for short) is an immobilizer type of theft deterrent... the engine won't run, so it's assumed the vehicle will be too much trouble to steal. It doesn't produce any warning to bystanders that the vehicle is being tampered with, like a traditional horn and light type alarm, so there may be no sense of urgency to the perpetrator to get in and get out... they may have plenty of time to rifle and strip the vehicle even if it isn't stolen outright.

You might consider a traditional alarm system if you have concerns with the safety of items inside the vehicle or if it's parked in an area that would afford a certain degree of "privacy" to anyone looking to tamper with it. I have little to no experience with aftermarket alarm systems, so (unfortunately) I won't be a good resource for picking the right system. Check with a good repair shop or audio store that does installations for more information on the subject... they'll have information on the latest systems.