George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 15+ years

Dodge: The turn signals and brake light do not work..fuses..fusible

I have a 1992 (actually made in 1991) Dodge W250 pick-up. The turn signals and brake light do not work. I have checked the fuses and fusible links for power, which they have. I have traced the power from the fuse box to the turn signal switch and that is where the power ends. If I unplug the turn signal switch and use a jumper wire I can make the brakes.I as of right now have not tried this for the turn signals, but they share the same wire at the tail light so I figure that I can rule out a bad wire. So with this knowledge I change the turn signal switch figuring it was the bad component, but it did not fix the problem. It did how ever fix my problem with the high and low beams. So whats my problem? Why do I get power to the turn signal switch but not after it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Have you tried your hazard flashers? If they work and the turn signals do not swap the flasher cans in the fuse block. There are two power feeds to the turn switch. the pink and the red/white wire both feed the hazard and turn switches from their own fuses.

Let me know what you have in the way of power on what wires and if the hazards work and I will help you find the fault

Here is the wiring diagram for this switch, let me know what you find

Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK,sorry for the late response, I've had a busy morning. I have no hazards or turn signals or brake lights.Here is what I have in terms of power. The Hazards have constant power. The power comes in on a Black w/ white strip wire and goes out via a Pink w/ black strip. The Turn signal has constant power at the Pink w/ Black strip and a Green w/ black strip. The Green w/ black strip has 2 wire coming into the turn signal at the same point. There is also power at the White w/ tan strip when the brakes are being applied.
    When the ignition is turned to the on position the turn signal has power at the fuse box. The power comes in at the Red w/ yellow strip (which also has 2 wires coming in at the same point) and power goes out to the turn signal via Red w/ black strip. At the turn signal I have now have power at the solid blue wire and the Red w/ Black strip as well as all the wires that I noted in the top paragraph.
    On last note I also don't have power to the starter from the ignition switch. The previous owner bypassed the key and put a push button. I did a check on the starting system already and it appears to be a faulty starter relay. I just wanted to include this in case this was information you needed to know. I am going to step out for about 30 minutes to pick up a new starter relay.
Thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Here is the diagram from a 1991 truck and it sound like it is closer to what you have in your truck.

graphic

If you have power at the red/black wire at the turn switch with the key on jump to the dark green/yellow stripe wire. Your rear turn signal should flash fast. If that works jump from the red/black to the tan wire. I want you to go through all four turn signals and see if you can do the work of the switch. Each jump should have the flasher running fast and will verify that all the bulbs, wiring , power and ground are correct. You may have the wrong switch as it sounds like your wiring is a '91 not a '92.

Let me know what you find, it is dinner with Mom day so I will be offline for several hours but I will be back later tonight to hear what you found

Let me know....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help. The last answer was great. It turns out that the switch was not wrong but that I had two bad flashers. I went out and put the proper flashers in the truck and it works. I do have another question about my starting problem. I know I am supposed to only ask one question per request but I would rather give you a bonus rather than pay someone else.
   The key will not start the truck, there is a push button that bypasses the key. I thought it was the starter relay that was faulty, so I changed it. Turn out I was wrong. There are 4 wires that go to the relay, red, yellow, brown,and brown/yellow. The red wire has constant power, the brown wire goes down to the starter solenoid. The brown wire comes off of the starter solenoid up to a 2 wire connector and then onto the relay. At the connector a red wire comes off of the battery and continues on into the firewall. The red wire has power up to the firewall but I don't know where it goes from there. When I turn the key to the on position everything works, when I turn it to start it does nothing. the brown wire that goes to the starter solenoid never get energized. I have already changed the starter relay, what do you think?

If you are unable to answer this question due to the rules of the site I understand. I will still be accepting your previous answer. If you can help me with this question as well I will be adding a bonus to your payment.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If it is a dodge I would bet it is the ignition switch. You can check for power on the yellow wire at the ignition switch as you turn the switch to the start position. I don't know what they wired the starter button to but it might have been the yellow wire and they cut it below the switch. Check right at the switch and if you do not have power there the ignition switch will need replacement.

Here is the wiring diagram for the start system so you can follow along from the fuse to the switch to the relay

graphic

graphic

Check the connector at the rear of the battery it is often corroded and it carries the start signal from the relay to the starter solenoid. The red wire you asked about goes to the alternator

Let me know if I can be of further help

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master 15+ years