Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

When driving my 1999 dodge durango it stalls while driving

when driving my 1999 dodge durango it stalls while driving
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer.. welcome to Just Answer!.

Does your Durango stall as if the key was turned off (sudden)?
Is it usually a fully warmed engine condition when it happens?
Does it restart immediately or take 5 to 30 minutes?
Do you see a NO BUS message in the odometer if the key is left on long enough?

Write back when you have time and feel free to include any other bits of information you have concerning the stall. Info is always appreciated!

Talk shortly,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it just stops like the key was turned off the gauges take a sec to drop after power loss
yes it is after it has been drivin for awhile
it takes removing the key and letting it sit before it will restart
i have seen a no bus in the odometer area before
It doesn't look good for your engine controller (PCM), mikey. While there are other things that can take the truck down like you've described, the overwhelming cause for this with this set of circumstances is the PCM itself. It's so common on the 99 Durango with the 5.9 engine that I know the controller number from memory... 56040147A*... the * being the software level, which could be from A to H.

If you'd like to do a simple test to determine whether the PCM is the problem, load up on some crushed ice and put it in a bag.

Locate the PCM, situated just right of the air cleaner housing... it's the 3-connector unit bolted to the right side inner fender.

Stuff the ice bag into the cavity between the air cleaner and the controller and then operate the truck as usual. Have a second bag on hand if the first one melts. This controller has shown a distinct dislike for underhood heat, so keeping the unit cold should extend its run time before it shuts off. If you can drive anywhere you like as long as it stays cold... you have the answer.

So sorry. If you have any questions, please write back. I'll be glad to help.