David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

2008 dodge ram 1500 4x4: 5.7 HEMI..ticking local dealer

I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with athe 5.7 HEMI, it has a serious ticking noise in the engine. I have taken this to my local dealer and they say that it is normal. Three of my brothers have dodge trucks wiht the Hemi engine ones a 204 rumble bee with 200,000km on it one a 2005 Daytina wiht 75,00kms and eh third is a 2008 with around 50,000km om them and they do have the traditional tick of the hemi engine but is far quiter than my truck. My friend of mine asked me if i had a desil thats how load the noise is at times. Just wondering if anyone has ran into anything simular and what was wrong.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.
Hopefully this will make sense. Is the ticking noise slow and does it increase speed with RPM change? If so I'd look in the lifter area. A lifter noise if 1/2 the speed of a rod or crankshaft and will increase tempo with an increase in RPM
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no the noise is at idle once the truck is warmed up and when you acellerate the noise goes away. Strange isn't it
There is a common issue with the exhaust manifold bolts breaking and you get a leak. Once that area heats up it kind of seals. If you listen at the wheel wells when cold you should be able to tell what side it is on. From there you can see a trace evidence of carbon from around the leak. Removal of that side manifold and extracting the broken bolt is the proper fix. I usually replace all the bolts and the shield just for precaution. Hope this was helpful, good luck.