moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

2006 dodge ram 2500: smoke..usual acceleration

have a 2006 dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel had a code p0148 fuel delivery malfunction cleared code never came back but truck seems laggy at take off and when you get on it not as much black smoke as usual acceleration seems laggy too any help thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
The most common problem is that the injector tips are getting dirty.If you buy some good fuel system cleaner and put in it and pull a load behind you truck pretty hard this will cause the injection pump to work at near max pressure and will clean the injector tips very well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked at problems that can set that problem and it says could be lift pump,high pressure pump,fuel leaks or blockage, fuel pressure sensor, does not say anything about injectors other than leaking but mine dont leak fuel also i run a fuel cleaner in my tank since truck was new i tow rv trailers for a living truck on fuel pumps has 388,000mi on it when i took cap off my fuel bowl where fuel filter is i turned key to on position but fuel trickles in to bowl but not a real good flow
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
The blockage is the most common problem do you let your truck idle a lot?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes a whole lot
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Then like I said most likely you have injector tips that are stoping up.This is a common problem this system does not like long idle tips and will stop the injector tips up.if running the cleaner through it doesnt fix it you will need to have a dealer do a injector power flush on the system.