david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

OD off and trans temp. light came on. left sit all day, started

Customer Question

OD off and trans temp. light came on. left sit all day, started out again, no warning lights,check engine light came on, about 10 miles later OD off and trans. temp came on again. HELP
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question i can help.

Can you tell me the year and model of your dodge.

It would also be vary helpful to have the check engine code

To get this code you put the key on OFF and then rapidly do OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (four or five, not three times, OFF-ON cycles depending on model). Codes are displayed on digital odometers it will look something like this p0123.

With this code and the model and year i can help you more
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2001 dodge ram 1500 46re trans. code p1740
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
Ok this is not as bad as it seems this is a transmission code P1740 - TCC or OD Solenoid Performance

I have this same truck and have had this same problem the pressure boost valve cover plate needs to be changed.

There's a technical service bulletin that addresses this problem. There is a redesigned part to remedy this code. Here's the TSB for you:

MIL ON - TCC/OD Solenoid Performance

NUMBER: 21-11-00

GROUP: Transmissions

EFFECTIVE DATE: October 02, 2000
SUBJECT:
46RE Transmission MIL Due To DTC P1740 - TCC or OD Solenoid Performance

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate.

MODELS:

2000 - 2001 (AB) Ram Van
2000 - 2001 (AN) Dakota
2000 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
2000 - 2001 (DN) Durango

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 46RE TRANSMISSION BUILT BEFORE AUGUST 01, 2000 (MDH O8O1XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may complain of a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further analysis, it is determined that the MIL is caused by Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1740 - Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) or Overdrive Solenoid Performance. Other than the MIL, the customer may not notice any other condition with the transmission.

This condition may be caused by an intermittent and momentary TCC disengagement condition. The transmission valve body pressure boost valve cover plate has been revised with a larger size orifice hole to address this condition.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. Warm the transmission to normal operating temperatures.

2. Using the DRB III(R), perform a torque converter clutch (TCC) stall test. The stall test has been revised so that the TCC remains engaged for a period of four (4) seconds.

NOTE: THE DRB III(R) MUST BE OPERATING AT RELEASE LEVEL 50.4 MDS2 SYSTEM CIS CD2067 OR HIGHER (AVAILABLE THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 2, 2000) IN ORDER TO PERFORM THE REVISED TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH STALL TEST. DO NOT USE EARLIER VERSION STALL TEST TO DETERMINE CONDITION OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH.

3. If the engine stalls as a result of the TCC stall test, then perform the Repair Procedure.

4. If the engine does not stall, as a result of the TCC stall test, then further diagnosis is required. The technician may want to consider the following components during their additional diagnosis: a cut or worn input shaft seals, a missing pump lock-up circuit check ball, or worn converter hub, input shaft, reaction shaft, and pump rotor.

This is a vary easy repair
graphic

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Clean the pressure boost valve cover plate to remove any dirt or rust inhibitor prior to installation. The revised cover plate will have a 1.75 mm (0.069 inch) orifice hole versus a 1.22 mm (0.048 inch) orifice hole in the original plate. Make sure it is clean.

2. replace with the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate p/n 04617012.

3. Verify fluid level after warming up the transmission and cycling the shift lever several times.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you telling me i may not have to replace the tcc solenoid and o/d solenoid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you telling me i may not have to replace the tcc solenoid and o/d solenoid.

will i be able to see this when i drop the pan, or is it more detailed
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
Replacing the boost valve cover plate should fix your problem.

Yes replacing the plat is just a matter of removing the transmission pan, and removing the pressure plate.

Good luck
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
happy to help if you have and other questions just ask