1dodgewrench
1dodgewrench, Dodge Technician
Experience:  20+ years Dodge Dealer experience, ASE Master Certified and Viper Certified & Diesel Certified
18040430

1995 Dodge Avenger: slipping so bad..rebuild..torque converter

Three days ago my 1995 Dodge Avenger (ES motor) transmission started whining. Today it was slipping so bad I could barely crawl to my brother's house. I had basically a rebuild last year except the torque converter. Am I right in guessing the torque converter or the pump is my problem. By the way there is no check engine light or anything.

Hi, I can try and point you in the right direction. First the obvious, have you checked your trans fluid. Is it full and what does it smell like? Please reply and I will do my best to direct you in the proper course of action.

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is full and there is currently no smell.
You may be right you may have a Torque converter or pump issue. If you want to make sure it is inside the trans if you are able and inspect the filter for debris and inspect the o-ring that is either on the filter stem or in the valve body where the stem came out of. this o-ring missing or cut can cause the trans to suck air and cause the condition you are describing.Also next time this sliiping occurs check and see if the fluid is full of bubbles, this could also be an issue. This Trans is very in need of Mopar ATF +4 to operate properly due to computer controls.