Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

HELP... I am replacing a heater core in 2005 Dodge Neon.

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The dash has to come out in order to replace the heater core:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
  4. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle by removing or disconnecting the following:
    WARNING Lock the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position; this will prevent damage to the clockspring

Push the seats back all the way Pry out the left and right A-pillar trim moldings and remove (using a trim stick tool) Upper instrument panel cover Pull up on the cluster bezel (carefully), and remove it from the vehicle Pull the instrument panel cover rearward (carefully), and remove it from the vehicle

Steering column as an assembly Left and right instrument panel end caps Center console Depress the Data Link Connector (DLC) sides and remove the DLC from the instrument panel reinforcement 4 bulkhead instrument panel screws 2 brake pedal support bracket bolts 2 center support mounting bolts Left and right A-pillar bolts; there are 2 on each side Antenna connector from the right side Left and right A-pillar door harness connectors 2 HVAC wiring harness connectors from the top right of the instrument panel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the right side upper instrument panel bezel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. You must remove the instrument panel center vent duct

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The upper defrost duct is secured with retaining tabs

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the inner defrost duct

Left side wiring harness connector from the top left of the instrument panel for the vanity and rear view mirrors Pull off the HVAC control head knobs

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the control panel retainer locations

2 top front center bezel screws Using a trim stick, carefully pry out the instrument panel center bezel and remove it 2 HVAC control head screws Instrument panel wiring harness connector Vacuum harness connector

1. Pull the HVAC control head out of the instrument panel, twist it 90 degrees and push it back through the opening; do not disconnect the control cables.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Air bag Control Module (ACM) from the center console Parking Brake Warning Lamp Switch from the center console Transmission Range Indicator Lamp from the center console
  3. Using an assistant, pull the instrument panel rearward and remove it from the vehicle.
  4. Drain the cooling system and remove the heater hoses at the firewall. Place plugs in the heater core outlets to prevent coolant spillage during the unit housing removal.
  5. Remove the suction line at the expansion valve. Place a piece of tape over the open refrigerant line to prevent moisture and/or dirt from entering the line.
  6. Remove the expansion valve from the evaporator fitting to prevent moisture and/or dirt from entering the evaporator.
  7. Remove or disconnect the following:

Rubber drain tube extension from the condensation drain tube Vacuum harness from the power brake booster (if equipped) Defroster duct 3 retaining nuts located in the engine compartment, on the firewall

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Location of the 3 firewall retaining studs

Right side retaining screw

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Unit housing retaining screw location

Remaining nut located on the firewall stud

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. You must remove the retainers, then separate the air distribution module from the evaporator/blower module

Blue 5-way wiring harness connector from the plenum Heater/air conditioning assembly from the vehicle Separate the air distribution outlet-to-parting case line foam seals

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the upper-to-lower housing retaining clips and screws

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Then separate the 2 halves of the module

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the heater core from the case

Evaporator lines and heater core tubes foam seals Clips and screws that hold the unit to the housing 4 retaining screws from the inlet air duct on the module Air inlet and recirc door assembly from the module Sensing switch from its harness Upper-to-lower case retaining clips and screws Separate the case halves, and remove the evaporator Heater core

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The blower motor assembly is located under the passenger-s side dash panel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Blower motor mounting and location of the retaining screws and wiring vehicles with air conditioning

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the instrument panel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Sectional view of the heater/air conditioning assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the expansion valve

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. View of the heater hoses and clamps

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Heater core into the heater/air conditioning unit. Evaporator and the upper-to-lower case retaining clips and screws Sensing switch to its harness Recirc door assembly to the module and the air inlet Clips and screws that hold the unit to the housing Evaporator lines and heater core tubes foam seals. Air distribution outlet-to-parting case line foam seals Assembly into the vehicle Blue 5-way wiring harness connector to the plenum Nut on the dash panel stud Right side retaining screw 3 retaining nuts located in the engine compartment, on the dash panel Defroster duct If equipped, the vacuum harness to the power brake booster Rubber drain tube extension to the condensation drain tube Expansion valve to the evaporator fitting Suction line at the expansion valve
  2. Evacuate, charge and leak-test the air conditioning system, if equipped.
  3. Install the heater hoses.
  4. Refill the cooling system.
  5. Install the instrument panel to the vehicle by performing the following procedure:

Air bag Control Module (ACM) Parking Brake Warning Lamp Switch Transmission Range Indicator Lamp HVAC control head into the instrument panel Vacuum harness connector Instrument panel wiring harness connector 2 HVAC control head screws Instrument panel center bezel 2 top front center bezel screws HVAC control head knobs Left side wiring harness connector to the top left of the instrument panel for the vanity and rear view mirrors 2 HVAC wiring harness connectors to the top right of the instrument panel Left and right A-pillar door harness connectors Antenna connector to the right side Left and right A-pillar bolts; there are 2 on each side 2 center support mounting bolts 2 brake pedal support bracket bolts 4 bulkhead instrument panel screws Data Link Connector (DLC) to the instrument panel reinforcement Center console Left and right instrument panel end caps Steering column as an assembly Instrument panel cover Cluster bezel Upper instrument panel cover Left and right A-pillar trim moldings Move seats forward Negative battery cable
  6. Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.