Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

1997 Dodge Ram 1500: tran..No fire at the ignition coil..ohms

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 3.9 standard tran. No fire at the ignition coil the resistances measures primary 1.20 ohms and seconday measures 12,800. Coil checks ok. The coil has .11 volts going into coil. By reading some of the answers below its seems the crank sensor and the cam sensor is ok but not for sure. ASD relay checks ok. but when I turn the key on the fuel pump hums louder than before and is non stop. Does this sound like the ECM is bad? while driving the O2 sensor wires were ripped out by the drive shaft I replace the O2 I don't know if this is what killed the engine or if it was something else. I noticed the wires hanging down when the wrecker towed the truck to my house.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. The thing that concerns me the most is your fuel pump running continuously. It should come on for about 2 seconds and then go off until the PCM sees a cam and crank signal. Now there are 2 things that will cause this : 1, a stuck relay, or a failed PCM. Try swapping the ASD and fuel pump relay with another like the ac clutch relay or horn relay and see if the fuel pump stays on. If it does, then suspect a failed PCM. If it does not, (turns on then goes off, then the relay is stuck and should be replaced. Let me know what you find,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did swap the ASD with the starter relay and the fuel pump with the horn relay and it did not change anything the fuel pump hummed just as loud. I never notice it to be that loud but again like you were saying it usually runs for a few seconds then goes off.
So would the O2 sensor wires being ripped out of the O2 sensor would that knockout the PCM. The check engine light also we not come on to give any codes would this narrow it down to the PCM.
I thought is might of been it because my daughter has a 95 eagle talon replaced the cheap stuff first cam and crank sensor relays but it wasn't so cheap and it was the PCM.
This time I believe I will go straight to the PCM is there not away to test the PCM by removing it from the car. Autozone tells me that they can not test it.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Well, it does sound like a PCM, but do this first if you can, Verify 12 volts (use a test light or voltmeter) at the batt fused and ignition run terminals in the PCM's connectors. If you do have the voltage feeds, then suspect a failed PCM. Here is a connector pin out for you. Check the grounds also.

Chris

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - C1 (3.9L ENG)
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
A1--
A2F18 18LG/BKFUSED IGNITION SWITCH INPUT (START/RUN)
A3--
A4K4 18BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
A5--
A6T41 18BK/WTPARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE
A7K19 16BK/GYIGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER
A8K24 20GY/BKCRANK POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
A9--
A10K60 18YL/BKIDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR NO. 2 DRIVER
A11K40 18BR/WTIDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR NO. 3 DRIVER
A12--
A13--
A14--
A15K21 18BK/RDINTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SIGNAL
A16K2 18TN/BKENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
A17K6 18VT/WT5 VOLT SUPPLY
A18K44 18TN/YLCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
A19K39 18GY/RDIDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR NO. 1 DRIVER
A20K59 18VT/BKIDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR NO. 4 DRIVER
A21--
A22A14 16RD/WTFUSED (B+)
A23K22 18OR/DBTHROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
A24K141 18TN/WTUPSTREAM HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
A25K341 18OR/BKDOWNSTREAM HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
A26--
A27K1 18DG/RDMAP SENSOR SIGNAL
A28--
A29--
A30--
A31Z12 14BK/TNGROUND
A32Z12 14BK/TNGROUND

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech