sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 Ram 2500: hemi..blow cold when idling..driving down

Why does my a/c in my 2003 Ram 2500 Hemi not blow cold when idling but is real cold when driving down the road.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm betting you have an engine light on too? Maybe, maybe not. The a/c isn't cooling at a stop because there is no airlfow over the a/c condensor. When you are driving you get natural cooling, and when you stop the electric condensor fan should come on to keep it cooled and keep the high side pressure down. What happens on these is the fan motor will either get weak and spin very slowly, or it will quit altogether and blow its fuse (number 39 I believe), and when the fuse blows it will turn the engine light on. Most likely you are going to need a condensor fan assembly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is fuse number 12 and it is not blown. Will the condenser fan only come on when the engine is hot? When I first crank the engine it is not on but I would like to test your theory and see if it ever comes on.

It will only come on when you have the a/c or defrost turned on and the truck has been running for a few minutes.

I double checked and the fuse is number 12 on your truck for sure, so we know it hasn't blown the fuse yet. Start the truck and turn the a/c on and let the truck run and see if the fan comes on, and if it does see how much air it pulls. You may not be that familiar with how much air these should pull if you haven't payed that much attention to it in the past, but it should move a good amount of air, comparable to what the engine mounted fan will pull. I believe you'll find that it's running pretty slow.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It does come on but it does not produce a very strong current as compared to the engine fan. Is this a relatively cheap part?

It may not pull quite the amount the engine driven fan does, but it does pull a large amount of air. If your a/c system has close to a full charge it has to be a condensor flow problem. The fan has been revised probably 4 times, and now comes as an assembly with the motor and shroud. It runs about $190.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. My freon is full so I believe you have pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again.

You're welcome, and good luck!