sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Dodge Ram 1500: hemi...changed 12 of the 16 spark plugs.

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, with 5.7 ltr. Hemi. I have changed 12 of the 16 spark plugs. How do I replace the spark plugs on the #5 and #7 cylinder? Is there some secret to replacing these plugs? I see no other way to replace the spark plugs without dropping the brake booster.

Hello and welcome back to JustAnswer!

Not fun is it? Those back four are not fun. You don't have to remove the booster though, you just need the right combination of extensions. Here's how I do it.

I use a regular depth spark plug socket. After the coils are removed, drop the socket down the hole. Then drop in a 3" extension. Then drop in a 1" extension, push the extensions into the socket. Loosen the spark plug all they way with a ratchet. Once it's loose, pull the racthet up until you can grab the extension with one hand. Hold them with one hand, pull the ratchet off the extensions with the other. Then pull the extensions up, hold the 3" with one hand and remove the 1", pull it up again, hold the plug socket with one hand and remove the 3" from it with the other hand. Then you can bring the socket with the plug out of the hole. When you go back together put the plug in the socket, very gently let it go down into the hole. You don't want to bend the electrode. Once it's down, drop your 3" extension, then the 1", then you are ready for the ratchet.