Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

2000 dodge: parking lights..lights wont..wont shut..under the hood

Customer Question

2000 dodge ram parking lights won't shut off when you pull the fuse or relay not sure what it is under the hood inside the black plastic box the lights go off and all is well till you turn them on again I changed the fuse/relay in the box that i pull and also the switch in the dash to turn off and on the lights. that did ot work any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  1dodgewrench replied 7 years ago.
Do you have an aftermarket alarm in this truck? Are there any other electrical issues with the vehicle, even if they dont seem related to the park lamp issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no alarm at all When we pull a trailer and have the trailer lights hooked up the parking lights and the trailer lights do not go off even though the headlights are not turned on.
which fuse did you pull? A fuse is a little plastic see though or semi see through part and a relay is almost exclusively black you can't see in it.Also if asked are you able to check the wiring if I give you a direction and location to check with a digital voltmeter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a relay and i do have a volt meter. I pull the back relay next to the one that is an extra. the one closest to the driver compartment of the truck.

I cant seem to see which "relay" you are pulling. There are no relays in the circuit for the headlamp switch. I dont mean to sound like I am trying to belittle you but are you sure it is a relay and not a cartridge fuse? Does this truck have daytime running lamps? Perhaps this is the issue I am having, that system is totally different in its wiring. Please forward this info and I am sure we can pinpoint your issue. Also is ther a factory security system in the truck.

Sorry for all the questions but electrical needs to be precise in diagnosis. I dont want to give you the wrong repair procedure.