Kevin
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta
10592253

How do I remove the dash in my 1998 Dodge Durango

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.
Do you want to remove the "complete" Dash or just the Front Dash Panel??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
whatever it takes to replace the ac evaporator

Thanks for the added info...........
Will relist & see if someone else has the info........sorry

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the site my name is Kevin.

EVAPORATOR COIL
WARNING: REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN THE GENERAL INFORMATION SECTION NEAR THE FRONT OF THIS GROUP BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

FRONT
REMOVAL
Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle, and remove the housing cover. See Heater-A/C Housing in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Lift the front evaporator coil out of the heater-A/C housing Evaporator Coil Remove/Install
INSTALLATION
Insert the front evaporator coil into the bottom of the heater-A/C housing.
Reassemble and reinstall the heater-A/C housing in the vehicle. See Heater-A/C Housing in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures
NOTE: If the front evaporator coil is replaced, add 60 milliliters (2 fluid ounces) of refrigerant oil to the refrigerant system. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the compressor in the vehicle.

HEATER-A/C HOUSING
The heater-A/C housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service access of the blower motor, blower motor wheel, heater core, evaporator coil, blend-air door, and each of the various mode control doors.

REMOVAL
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel Assembly in the Removal and Installation section of Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. See Refrigerant Recovery in the Service Procedures section of this group.
Remove the front expansion valve from the evaporator tube mounting flange. See Expansion Valve in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
Drain the engine cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
Remove the four nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel Heater-A/C Housing Remove/Install
Disengage the front floor panel transmission tunnel duct from the adapter on the heater-A/C housing.
Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.
DISASSEMBLY
Place the heater-A/C housing on a work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing down.
Remove the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the top of the blower motor housing cover.
If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two vacuum harness connectors from the recirculation air door actuator.
Unplug the vacuum harness connector from the panel-defrost door actuator.
Remove the four screws that secure the floor duct to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing and remove the duct from the housing.
Remove the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the lower housing near the floor outlet Heater-A/C Housing Floor Outlet Screws
Turn the heater-A/C housing over on the work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing up.
Disengage the vacuum harness retainer from the hole near the left end of the heater-A/C housing cover.
Remove the vacuum harness from the molded clips on the heater-A/C housing cover Blend-Air Door Lever Remove/Install
Remove the thirteen screws that secure the perimeter of the housing cover to the heater-A/C housing.
Remove the nut that secures the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft and remove the lever.
Gently pry off the push nut that secures the heater-A/C housing cover to the heater-A/C housing post.
Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the panel-defrost door lever off of the panel-defrost door pivot shaft Panel-Defrost Door Lever Remove
Pull up the perimeter edges of the heater-A/C housing cover far enough to separate the cover sealant from the heater-A/C housing.
Remove the housing cover from the heater-A/C housing.
If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the recirculation air door actuator from the blower motor housing cover. See Mode Door Vacuum Actuators in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Remove the six screws that secure the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing Blower Motor Housing Cover Remove/Install
Remove the blower motor housing cover from the heater-A/C housing.
ASSEMBLY
Before installing the blower motor housing cover, be certain that the cover sealant is in place and in good condition Blower Motor Housing Cover Sealant
Position the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing.
Install the six screws that secure the blower motor housing cover to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
If the vehicle is so equipped, reinstall the recirculation air door actuator. See Mode Door Vacuum Actuators in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Before installing the heater-A/C housing cover, be certain that the cover sealant is in place and in good condition Heater-A/C Housing Cover Sealant
Position the heater-A/C housing cover on the heater-A/C housing. Be certain that the pivots for the floor-defrost, the panel-defrost, the blend-air, and the recirculation air (if the vehicle is so equipped) doors are properly positioned.
Reinstall the push nut that secures the heater-A/C housing cover to the heater-A/C housing post.
Install the thirteen screws that secure the perimeter of the housing cover to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Snap the panel-defrost door lever onto the panel-defrost door pivot shaft.
Install the blend-air door lever to the blend-air door pivot shaft and secure it to the shaft with the nut.
Install the vacuum harness retainer into the hole near the left end of the heater-A/C housing cover.
Route the vacuum harness through the molded clips on the heater-A/C housing cover.
Turn the heater-A/C housing over on the work bench, with the heater-A/C housing cover facing down.
Install the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the lower housing near the floor outlet. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Position the floor duct to the bottom of the heater-A/C housing and secure with four screws. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Plug in the vacuum harness connector to the panel-defrost door actuator.
If the vehicle is so equipped, plug in the two vacuum harness connectors to the recirculation air door actuator.
Install the two screws that secure the heater-A/C housing cover to the top of the blower motor housing cover. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Reinstall the heater-A/C housing in the vehicle.
INSTALLATION
Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
Install the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nut to 11 N·m (95 in. lbs.)
Engage the front floor panel transmission tunnel duct with the adapter on the heater-A/C housing.
Install and tighten the four nuts onto the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.)
Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
Reinstall the front expansion valve to the evaporator tube mounting flange. See Expansion Valve in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Evacuate the refrigerant system. See Refrigerant System Evacuate in the Service Procedures section of this group.
Charge the refrigerant system. See Refrigerant System Charge in the Service Procedures section of this group.
Reinstall the instrument panel in the vehicle. Refer to Instrument Panel Assembly in the Removal and Installation section of Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
Connect the battery negative cable.
Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry along the edges of the right and left front door sill trim to release the clips that secure it to the sill Cowl Side Trim Remove/Install Carefully disengage the ends of the sill trim from the inner cowl side trim panel at the front, and from the lower B-pillar trim at the rear, then remove the sill trim from the sill
Remove the screw that secures the rear tab on the inner cowl side trim panel to the sill.
Grasp the forward edge of the trim panel and pull it inboard far enough to disengage the clip that secures it to the cowl side.
Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the inner cowl side trim panel to release the clip that secures it to the A-pillar trim and the front door hinge pillar.
Remove the steering column opening cover and knee blocker from the instrument panel. See Steering Column Opening Cover and Knee Blocker in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
Unplug the driver side airbag module wire harness connector at the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the tilt steering column lever.
Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install - Typical
Remove the lower fixed column shroud.
Move the upper fixed column shroud far enough to access the rear of the multi-function switch Multi-Function Switch Connector - Typical
Remove the tamper proof mounting screws (a Snap On tamper proof torx bit TTXR20B2 or equivalent is required) that secure the multi-function switch to the steering column.
Gently pull the switch away from the steering column far enough to access and loosen the multi-function switch wire harness connector screw. The screw will remain in the wire harness connector.
Unplug the wire harness connector from the multi-function switch.
Unplug the remaining steering column wire harness connectors Steering Column Connectors - Typical
If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
Remove the steering column from the vehicle. Refer to Steering for the procedures.
Remove the screw from the center of the bulkhead wire harness connector and unplug the connector.
Unplug the two body wire harness connectors located next to the bulkhead wire harness connector.
Unplug the three wire harness connectors located closest to the dash panel from the junction block.
Reach under the driver side outboard end of the instrument panel to access and unsnap the plastic retainer clip from the park brake release linkage rod at the back of the park brake release handle.
Disengage the park brake release linkage rod end from the back of the park brake release handle.
Unplug the wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the wire harness connector from the Rear Wheel Anti-Lock (RWAL) brake module located on the inboard side of the pedal and steering column support brackets.
Unplug the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
Remove the center support bracket from the instrument panel. See Instrument Panel Center Support Bracket in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Remove the screw that secures the wire harness ground eyelets to the left side of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) bracket on the floor panel transmission tunnel.
Unplug the wire harness connector from the ACM.
Remove the glove box from the instrument panel. See Glove Box in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Reach through the instrument panel glove box opening to unplug the antenna coaxial cable connector.
Release the antenna half of the coaxial cable from the retainer clip near the lower outboard side of the instrument panel glove box opening.
Reach through and above the instrument panel glove box opening to access and unplug the blower motor wire harness connector located near the heater-A/C support brace.
If the vehicle is so equipped, unplug the two wire harness connectors from the Infinity speaker amplifier on the right cowl side inner panel.
Remove the nut that secures the radio ground wire harness eyelet to the stud on the right cowl side inner panel.
Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 6 mm (0.25 inch) Instrument Panel Assembly Remove/Install
Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
Pull the lower instrument panel outwards until the right and left cowl side roll-down bracket screws are in the roll-down slot position of both brackets Roll-Down Bracket
Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position:
Unplug the two door jumper wire harness connectors located on a bracket near the right end of the instrument panel.
Unplug the wire harness connector at the blower motor resistor.
Disconnect the temperature control cable flag retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing and pull the cable core adjuster clip off of the blend-air door lever.
Disconnect the demister duct flexible hose from the adapter on the top of the heater-A/C housing.
With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.
Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the mounting hardware as follows:
Instrument panel top to dash panel screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
Instrument panel roll-down screws - 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
Inner cowl side trim panel mounting screw - 2.2 N·m (20 in.

graphic

graphic
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience: 15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta