sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Im trying to replace a disconnect fuel line on my Dodge Ram

I'm trying to replace a disconnect fuel line on my Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, gas tank. My problem is the sending unit on the tank has a 3/8 metal tube and the fuel line is 5/16. The nylon tube in the repair kit I bought is 5/16, but is so tight I cannot get it on the line. I have boil it, greased it, even stretched it,(this only resulted in sticking a long punch in the nylon tube and almost not getting it out), I have come across 2 different directions about using hot water concerning the amount of time to leave the nylon line in the water. One said 10 seconds, the other said 10 minutes or until soft. I left it in boiling hot water for 15 minutes and it was barely soft at all. And oh yea, the disconnect that came with the kit was a 5/16, I couldn't use it even if I could have gotten the nylon line on. I also bought a small torch to shrink the nylon on to the 5/16 metal line, at the advise of one of your experts, but I'm a coward when it comes to gas and flames. So far $40.00 gone. sprinkles!

Obviously you have the wrong parts for the job.

Have you contacted your dealer for the correct replacement part?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No contact with dealer yet. I got my repair kit from Auto Zone and did not know that this thinks come in different sizes, he ask no questions about it.

Personally, I would inquire about getting the correct parts.

Depending on the year of your vehicle they may or may not be readily available.

Finding a used line is also a possibility.

Doing what you are trying to do, kinda worries me when dealing with fuel.......is it gonna work....will it hold??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This turned into a Sunday project, that why I haven't had contact with a dealer. have you had any experience with this lines before?

Not with using these "repair" kits.

If we run into issues, we replace the complete line.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry,I cannot accept your answer. Can someone get in touch with sprinkler08 for me. He was the 1st expert I talked to early today?

Welcome back Tommy!

I've done a few of these, but I haven't had a problem getting them to go over the line on the truck. You're positive you've got the right repair kit? They do come in three or four sizes, and I'm wondering if you've got the right one. I haven't used one from Autozone because there isn't one anywhere near where I work, we've always gotten them from the Help section at Napa or Standard Auto parts and they've slid right on and worked perfectly. If you have another parts store close, or if there were more options at Autozone, take your old line with you and see if there is one that is a better fit. The repair line for a 5/16" line is going to be a bit bigger than 5/16" before you shrink it.

The torch thing bothers me too! I would stick with a heat gun to shrink this, and make sure there is no fuel in the area. Get the tank away, make sure the fuel line is disconnected at the engine and blown out with compressed air and completely dry. Have a helper with a fire extenguisher in the area. As you and Mark had discussed, this can be pretty dangerous stuff.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have a Napa that I'll go to tomorrow. And I'll do what you suggested about the fuel line. I had asked Autozone about a heat gun and he stuck me with the small torch and I still had to go to Wally World (Walmart) to get the butane for it to work. Do you think that Napa might have the heat gun?

Napa will likely have a heat gun. My dealer is in a pretty small town without a whole lot of options for parts stores, and we've always had a heat gun within 20 minutes of asking for a new one, so either the Standard Auto Parts or the Napa (or both) have them in stock around here. I would think they would have one at your store, Napa's are always pretty good.

Your Autozone guy scares me...

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agree about the Autozone guy. It's getting late here, so I'll maybe talk to you later.THANKS!!!!!!!!!
I work during the day, so I'll be in and out until the evening tomorrow and then I'll be online solid. Let me know how it goes!