Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

i need a wiring diagram for a 1987 dodge ram 50 ignition c

Customer Question

i need a wiring diagram for a 1987 dodge ram 50 ignition coil
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar replied 5 years ago.

Hi... let me know if this helps

2.0L and 2.6L Engines

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Measure the resistance of the external resistor on the coil by connecting the probes of an ohmmeter across the two resistor connectors. Resistance should be as follows or the unit should be replaced.

2.0L engine (1983-86): 1.35 ohms
    2.0L engine (1987-89): 1.2-1.4 ohms
    2.6L engine (1983-86): 1.04-1.27 ohms
    2.0L engine (1987-88): 1.25 ohms
    2.6L engine (1989-90): 1.12-1.38 ohms

2. Measure the resistance across the coil primary circuit by connecting an ohmmeter between the (+) and (-) coil connectors. Resistance must be approximately as follows or the coil should be replaced.

2.0L engine (1979-82): 0.7-0.85 ohms
    2.0L engine (1983-86): 1.2 ohms
    2.0L engine (1987-89): 1.08-1.32 ohms
    2.6L engine (1979-82): 0.7-0.85 ohms
    2.6L engine (1983-86): 1.04-1.27 ohms
    2.6L engine (1987-88): 1.25 ohms
    2.6L engine (1989-90): 1.12-1.38 ohms

3. Set your ohmmeter to the x1000 scale and measure the resistance between the connector inside the coil tower and the coil (+) terminal. This is secondary resistance and must be as follows, or the unit should be replaced.

2.0L engine (1979-82): 9-11 kilohms
    2.0L engine (1983-86): 1.2 kilohms
    2.0L engine (1987-89): 1.08-1.32 kilohms
    2.6L engine (1979-82): 9-11 kilohms
    2.6L engine (1983-86): 7.1-9.6 kilohms
    2.6L engine (1987-88): 11.0 kilohms
    2.6L engine (1989-90): 9.4-12.7 kilohms

4. Inspect the unit for oil leaks and cracks in the coil tower, and replace it if any defects are noted.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Checking the resistance of the external resistor

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Checking primary coil resistance

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Checking secondary coil resistance

2.4L and 3.0L Engines See Figure 4

1. Measure the resistance across the coil primary circuit by connecting an ohmmeter between the (+) and (-) coil connectors. Resistance must be approximately 0.72-0.88 ohms or the coil should be replaced.
  2. Set your ohmmeter to the x1000 scale and measure the resistance between the connector inside the coil tower and the coil (+) terminal. This is secondary resistance and must be 10.3-13.9 kilohms, or the unit should be replaced.
  3. Inspect the unit for cracks in the coil tower, and replace it if any defects are noted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i please get a wiring diagram of the connections to the coil , somebody took the original coil and left all the wires cut.
Expert:  Mopar replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to do more research. How many connectors are there on the coil?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one lug for power and one short wire with an islet which goes to? thats why i need a diagram
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if you can't give me a wiring schematic you are not answering my original question
Expert:  Randall C replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is the only diagram available using the online database we all mostly use. Maybe it will help

graphic

Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist