David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

Special: oil pump..hemi..the service bulletin for low oil pressure

Customer Question

I need to replace the oil pump o my 2003 ram hemi, is there any way to raise the engine without the special tool mentioned in the service bulletin for low oil pressure at below freezing?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.

Looks like you are referring to the service bulletin 09-006-04.

You can raise the engine and support it any way you are comfortable. The instructions are for dealership technicians that have those special tools available. Be sure to do whatever is needed to be safe as you are doing this procedure. Good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks David, there doesnt really seem to be much of any way to attach a cherry picker? Could you describe how the tool works?
Basically it is a bar the crossed the fenders with a hook to hold the engine up. I'll provide a good picture.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wow, and that little handle raises the engine? Where do that attach the hook... I can do it easy enough with an engine hoist I think...but just dont see a good spot to attach, this tool would be the same idea.. the pic is great just doesnt show the attachement point... I appreciate your help
The top image is the mount that goes onto the engine and the bar/hook hold it into position. You should see a fairly long stud coming off of the timing cover, that is the front attaching point of the mount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That makes sense, looks like I cna just hook to that stud then.. I'll give it a try thanks David!
Good luck with your project.