David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

2000 DODGE: ALARM..THREE TIMES AND SHUT OFF, NOW WONT

MY 2000 DODGE RAM ALARM WON'T LET ME START MY TRUCK, STARTED THREE TIMES AND SHUT OFF, NOW WON'T START..

I will guess that you have a grey colored key. If so then there is a possible problem with the key or the module for the vehicle theft system. The module needs a valid signal from the key to start. If it does not get one then it will start and stall 3 times then completely lock you out until you can get the problem fixed. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal you can do to fix the problem. The system needs the proper scan tool to diagnosis the concern and unless you have one....

If this doesn't have the grey key then it still has the same function but it uses a door switch to disarm the security system. Same situation though, you need to know what triggered the system and will need a scan tool to find out what did it. Sorry the news isn't good but some systems just are not very cooperative when it comes to self repair.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there a way to pull a fuse for the alarm system or disconnect the door switch, it does not have the special key like my 2008 ram, just the remote for your hand..
I'm afraid not, the Central Timer Module(CTM) is in charge of this system as well as others on the truck. If your remote is not disarming the system then there is a definite problem to get repaired. The only possible way to get around this is by replacing the CTM and not enabling the security feature but I think that would be quite costly compared to fixing what is on there now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where is this ctm on my ram, thanks
the CTM is mounted under the driver side end of the instrument panel, inboard of the instrument panel steering column opening.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks dave, i'll give that a shot..