jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service

how do change the tension pulley for the power steering belt

how do change the tension pulley for the power steering belt on a 2000 plymouth neon
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 7 years ago.
If you have the SOHC 2.0, the pully is part of the front engine mount. You will need the entire mount, and it comes with the tensioner pully attached.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I have a 2.0 16 valve engine

in 2000, the only engine offered is the SOHC, so that is what you have. I didn't mean to confuse you. I just looked it up, and that is all that is offered, You will need the the whole engine mount bracket, if you are replacing the tensioner, but if you just want the pulley, it is serviced separately

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i only want to change to pully not the tensioner arm itself or do i have to take the arm off the change the pulley. Is there a way to just take of the pulley itself or if the arm has to come off is there a way to just take the arm off in my book it tell's me to loosen the nut and remove but there is no nut just a washer with two notches is that what i have to remove to get the arm off
I just went to my garage to look at one; thee srm doesnot come off the mount, but if you pull down on the pully, you can see an allen-head bolt, that can be removed to replace the pully. I don't know if this is possible in the car,but you may be able to do it. Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i saw that there was an allen head both in there the problem is that there is not enough room to get an allen head in there so what you are telling me is that all that stuff has to come off just to change a pulley and i know its not your fault but that is just stupid to have to remove all that just for a pulley
The real stupid part iof the design is, that you have to replace the whole mount, just for the tensioner. And to answer your question, if you can't get an allen wrench up, in there, then it will have to be at least loosened to get enough room. Sorry, but Neon's had some bad designers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me what size allen wrench that I need
i went out and looked again; it is a torx bit size T40