moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

What is the procedure to adjust a 2000 Neon timing belt tensioner

What is the procedure to adjust a 2000 Neon timing belt tensioner with late model hydraulic tensioner?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
It is self ajusting.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT (WITH HYDRAULIC TENSIONER)

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC (Crankshaft Sprocket Timing).
  2. Set camshaft to TDC by aligning mark on sprocket with the arrow on the rear of timing belt cover (Camshaft Timing Mark).
  3. Move crankshaft to 1/2 mark before TDC (Adjusting Crankshaft Sprocket for Timing Belt)for belt installation.
  4. Install the timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, then around the camshaft sprocket, and finally route the back side of the timing belt around the timing belt tensioner pulley.
  5. Move crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up belt slack.
  6. Re-set the hydraulic tensioner by placing tensioner body in a vise equipped with soft jaws (Compressing Timing Belt Tensioner). Slowly compress the plunger.
  7. Compress the plunger until a 1.9 mm (5/64) Allen wrench or pin can be inserted through the body and the plunger (Compressing Timing Belt Tensioner).
  8. Remove hydraulic tensioner from vise and install on engine. Do not tighten attaching bolts at this time.
  9. Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt, apply 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) of torque against the timing belt.
  10. With torque applied to the tensioner pulley/timing belt, move the tensioner up against the pulley pivot bracket and tighten tensioner bolts to 31 N·m (23 ft. lbs.). (Timing Belt Tension Adjustment).
  11. Pull the tensioner plunger retaining pin. Pretension is correct when the pin can be removed and installed into tensioner housing and plunger.
  12. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions and check the alignment of the timing marks (Adjusting Crankshaft Sprocket for Timing Belt) and (Camshaft Timing Mark).
  13. Check belt tension by installing pin into tensioner housing. If pin cannot be re-installed, repeat belt tension procedure.
  14. Install the front timing belt cover (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT COVER(S) - INSTALLATION).
  15. Lower vehicle and perform camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:
    • Connect the DRB III® scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector. This connector is located in the passenger compartment; at the lower edge of instrument panel near the steering column.
    • Turn the ignition switch on.
    • Access "Engine" diagnostics.
    • Select "Miscellaneous" option.
    • Select "ReLearn Cam Crank" option and follow directions on DRBIII® screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. This is exactly the information that I required.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome. Dont forget to hit the accept button. Thanks
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp