HWeaver184
HWeaver184, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified all 9 fields, specialize in diesel, trans, drivability. With chrysler 4yrs
14343291

2001 Dodge: cummins engine..a CAM sensor..crank sensor

I recently had to change my 2001 Dodge Ram cummins engine to a 1999 cummins engine. I have a problem. The 2001 engine had a CAM sensor only and the 1999 that I installed has a CAM and crank sensor. I'm only getting 1/2 power out of the 1999 engine at this point. I need to know what I need to do to fix this problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  HWeaver184 replied 7 years ago.
Well they both have crank and cam sensors. Either one of the two most likely has a crank sensor either behind the starter or it was positioned off the front balancer. How much of the engine did you change out? Short block, long block. ??????
Different engines can have a different headgasket thickness. One dot and 2 dot. You can usually tell by looking at the front corner of the head where you can see the head gasket.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so do you think the problem is with one of these sensors because the tach goes haywire! when the power problem begins.......i changed complete engines swapped one for the other