quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years chrysler

Tell me how to remove the Dashboard on a 1997 D0dge and and

Tell me how to remove the Dashboard on a 1997 D0dge and and replac the A/C vaporator
Category: Dodge
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.
hello if i could get the model of the vehicle your working on i can get you the instructions from the service manual.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Need information to remove the datshboard on a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 w/5.2 Engine

and replace the vaporator

Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AIRBAG, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING AIRBAG SYSTEM OR STEERING WHEEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the left and right cowl side panel trim.
  3. Remove the knee blocker as described in this group.
  4. On club cab models only, remove the steering column cover reinforcement as described in this group.
  5. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
  6. Remove the screw that secures the parking brake release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
  7. Remove the six screws that secure the lower instrument panel support to the instrument panel Lower Instrument Panel Support Remove/Install
  8. Unplug the airbag wire harness connector at the lower left corner of the instrument panel.
  9. On models with an automatic transmission, pull the gearshift selector (PRND21) indicator cable and twist it to remove it from the position arm on the steering column, if equipped Gearshift Indicator (PRND21) Cable Remove
  10. Push the tab on the bottom of the cable retainer up, then squeeze the sides to remove the retainer from the steering column.
  11. On models with a tilt steering column only, remove the tilt steering column lever.
  12. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column Steering Column Shrouds
  13. Remove the lower fixed steering column shroud.
  14. Loosen the multi-function switch wire harness connector screw. The screw will remain in the wire harness connector. Unplug the multi-function switch wire harness connector Multi-Function Switch Connector - Typical
  15. Unplug the remaining steering column wire harness connectors Steering Column Connectors
  16. Remove the airbag wire harness from the steering column wiring trough.
  17. Remove the wiring trough from the steering column.
  18. Remove the three nuts and washers that secure the steering column toe plate to the dash panel Steering Column Toe Plate
  19. Remove the two nuts and washers that secure the steering column mounting bracket to the instrument panel steering column support bracket Steering Column Mounting
  20. Lower the steering column and allow it to rest on the seat.
  21. Remove the two screws that secure the Airbag Control Module (ACM) cover to the ACM mounting bracket on the floor transmission tunnel under the instrument panel ACM Cover Screws Remove/Install
  22. Using a wide flat-bladed tool such as a trim stick, gently pry the top of the trim cover away from the mounting bracket to release the snap clip retainer that secures it to the bracket.
  23. Remove the four screws that secure the ACM mounting bracket to the floor transmission tunnel Airbag Control Module Remove/Install
  24. Unplug the wire harness connectors from the ACM.
  25. Remove the ACM.
  26. Unplug the wire harness connectors at the left end of the instrument panel.
  27. Unplug the following connectors at the right end of the instrument panel:
    • Two wire harness connectors secured to the heater-A/C housing
    • Courtesy lamp wire harness connector
    • Antenna coaxial cable connector
    • Two instrument panel-to-body wire harness connectors
    • Vacuum harness connector for the heater-A/C system.
  28. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the dash panel.
  29. Remove the lower center instrument panel mounting screw.
  30. Loosen the lower instrument panel pivot bolts.
  31. Roll the instrument panel down.
  32. Using a screwdriver or pointed tool, push through the plastic flashing on the heater-A/C housing receptacle to release the locking tab retainer for the temperature control cable Temperature Control Cable Remove
  33. Pull the temperature control cable retainer from the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  34. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  35. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Be certain that all of wire harnesses and hoses are not pinched. Refer to Restraint Systems before connecting the battery negative cable. Tighten the hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel upper mounting screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel pivot bolts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
    • Steering column shroud screws - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
    • Steering column bracket nuts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
    • Toe plate nuts - 23 N·m (200 in. lbs.)
    • Multi-function switch wire harness connector screw - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
    • ACM mounting bolts - 11 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
Expert:  quickcar replied 5 years ago.

EVAPORATOR COIL

REMOVAL

1. Remove the heater-A/C housing as described in this group.
  2. Turn the heater-A/C housing upside down.
  3. Remove the screws that secure the two housing halves together. Unsnap the center heat duct adaptor from the lower housing and remove the screw hidden by the adaptor.
  4. Carefully turn the heater-A/C housing over. Remove the top half of the housing Evaporator Coil Location in Heater-A/C Housing (Upside Down)
  5. Lift the evaporator coil from the heater-A/C housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the evaporator coil in the bottom half of the heater-A/C housing.
  2. Position the top half of the heater-A/C housing over the bottom half. Carefully turn the housing over. Install and tighten the screws that secure the two housing halves to each other.
  3. Snap on the center heat duct adaptor.
  4. Install the heater-A/C housing as described in this group

NOTE: If the evaporator was replaced, add 2 ounces of refrigerant oil to the refrigerant system.

HEATER-A/C HOUSING

REMOVAL

2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  3. Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator tubes Evaporator and Heater Core Lines Install plugs in, or tape over all of the open refrigerant fittings.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and set it aside. Do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors.
  8. Remove the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  9. Remove the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  10. Remove the defroster duct from the heater-A/C housing Defroster Duct
  11. Unplug the heater-A/C housing wire harness connectors.
  12. Remove the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel Heater-A/C Housing
  13. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be sure the condensate drain tube is positioned in the dash panel drain hole.
  2. Install the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  3. Install the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.)
  4. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
  5. Unplug or remove the tape from the refrigerant fittings, and connect the refrigerant lines to the evaporator tubes.
  6. Install the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Install the PCM.
  8. Install the defroster duct to the heater-A/C housing.
  9. Plug in the heater-A/C housing wire harness connectors.
  10. Install the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  11. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  12. Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  13. Connect the battery negative cable.
  14. Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+ years chrysler