chris
chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master ase certified, master chrysler dodge jeep over 250 factory trained schools
13657634

2001 dodge dakota: quad cab..v6..the fuel pump on my truck

I have a 2001 dodge dakota quad cab v6 3.9 engine. I like to know how to replace the fuel pump on my truck.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.
welcome to ja
great truck

here is the removal procedure and install from the service manual
you will have to pull the tank to do this and this will tell you how step by step

chris
let me know if you need more info

REMOVAL
WARNING: THE FUEL SYSTEM IS UNDER A CONSTANT PRESSURE (EVEN WITH ENGINE OFF). BEFORE SERVICING FUEL PUMP MODULE, FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE MUST BE RELEASED.

Drain fuel tank and remove tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Removal.
Thoroughly wash and clean area around pump module to prevent contaminants from entering tank.
The fuel pump module locknut is threaded onto fuel tank (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models) or (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models). Install Special Tool 6856 to fuel pump module locknut and remove locknut (Locknut Removal/Installation—Typical).
Remove module from fuel tank.

INSTALLATION
CAUTION: Whenever fuel pump module is serviced, the module gasket must be replaced.

Using a new gasket, position fuel pump module into opening in fuel tank. Be sure rubber gasket remains in place. 2 Door Models: Rotate module assembly until module alignment arrow is at 7 o'clock position (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models). The front of fuel tank is to the right in (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models). Arrow should be pointed to fuel tank markings (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models). 4 Door Models: Rotate module assembly until module alignment arrow is at 4 o'clock position (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models). The front of fuel tank is to the right in (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models). Arrow should be pointed to fuel tank markings (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models). This step must be followed to prevent float/float rod from contacting sides of fuel tank.
Position locknut over top of fuel pump module. Tighten finger tight.
Carefully rotate fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator until fuel fitting is pointed towards drivers side of vehicle (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models) or (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models). The front of fuel tank is to the right in (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—2 Door Models) or (Top View of Fuel Pump Module—4 Door Models).
Install Special Tool 6856 to locknut.
Tighten locknut to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) torque. While tightening locknut, be sure module has not rotated.
Install fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Installation.
chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master ase certified, master chrysler dodge jeep over 250 factory trained schools