TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

1995 dodge dakota,automatic transmission,v-8,5.2l,233,000 miles,

1995 dodge dakota,automatic transmission,v-8,5.2l,233,000 miles, the overdrive comes off then on within 20-30 seconds, consul od switch w/light indicator displays this, happens on road and freeway, is this a switch problem or the overdrive sensor failing? or what?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.
<h3>OVERDRIVE ELECTRICAL CONTROLS</h3><p>The overdrive off switch, valve body solenoid, case connectors and related wiring can all be tested with a 12 volt test lamp or a volt/ohmmeter.</p><p> </p><p>MOST LIKELY SWITCH ISSUE,TIM</p>
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
explain the valve body solenoid function with respect to the overdrive off switch?
Expert:  TIM replied 5 years ago.
3-4 SHIFT SEQUENCE
The overdrive clutch is applied in fourth gear only. The direct clutch is applied in all ranges except fourth gear. Fourth gear overdrive range is electronically controlled and hydraulically activated. Various sensor inputs are supplied to the powertrain control module to operate the overdrive solenoid on the valve body. The solenoid contains a check ball that opens and closes a vent port in the 3-4 shift valve feed passage. The overdrive solenoid (and check ball) are not energized in first, second, third, or reverse gear. The vent port remains open, diverting line pressure from the 2-3 shift valve away from the 3-4 shift valve. The overdrive control switch must be in the ON position to transmit overdrive status to the PCM. A 3-4 upshift occurs only when the overdrive solenoid is energized by the PCM. The PCM energizes the overdrive solenoid during the 3-4 upshift. This causes the solenoid check ball to close the vent port allowing line pressure from the 2-3 shift valve to act directly on the 3-4 upshift valve. Line pressure on the 3-4 shift valve overcomes valve spring pressure moving the valve to the upshift position. This action exposes the feed passages to the 3-4 timing valve, 3-4 quick fill valve, 3-4 accumulator, and ultimately to the overdrive piston. Line pressure through the timing valve moves the overdrive piston into contact with the overdrive clutch. The direct clutch is disengaged before the overdrive clutch is engaged. The boost valve provides increased fluid apply pressure to the overdrive clutch during 3-4 upshifts, and when accelerating in fourth gear. The 3-4 accumulator cushions overdrive clutch engagement to smooth 3-4 upshifts. The accumulator is charged at the same time as apply pressure acts against the overdrive piston.