Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Dodge ram 1500: the rear brakes..emergency brake

i am trying to get ilistrations and information on how to replace the rear brakes on a1994 dodge ram 1500 pick up truck. i am not sure witch brake shoe the short or long go's towards the front of the truck or go's on the emergency brake arm that connects to the shoe. thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions with illustrations to help you. The primary shoe, which is the one with shortest friction material, goes toward the front of the vehicle. The secondary shoe, which has the most friction material, has the ebrake arm attached to it.

graphic

Full directions:

Servo Type With Single Anchor

See Figures 1 through 11

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Details of a common single anchor type brake assembly

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the rear wheel, drum retaining clips and the brake drum.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Use a suitable removal/installation tool to service the shoe return springs

1. Remove the brake shoe return springs, noting how the secondary spring overlaps the primary spring.
  2. Remove the brake shoe retainer, springs and nails.
  3. Disconnect the automatic adjuster cable from the anchor and unhook it from the lever. Remove the cable, cable guide, and anchor plate.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: View of the Chrysler rear drum brake assembly

1. Remove the spring and lever from the shoe web.
  2. Spread the anchor ends of the primary and secondary shoes and remove the parking brake spring and strut.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Use a quick-drying brake spray cleaner to remove some of the grime from the brake components

1. Disconnect the parking brake cable and remove the brake assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: A special brake spring tool makes removing/installing the return springs much simpler

1. Remove the primary and secondary brake shoe assemblies and the star adjuster as an assembly. Block the wheel cylinders to retain the pistons.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Disconnect the cable from the rear brake assembly

To install:

1. Measure the drum as described in this section.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Using a special tool, push in and turn to remove the spring-loaded shoe retaining pins

1. Apply a thin coat of lubricant to the support platforms.
  2. Attach the parking brake lever to the back side of the secondary shoe.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Remove the adjuster cable from the Chrysler rear brake assembly

1. Place the primary and secondary shoes in their relative positions on a workbench.
  2. Lubricate the adjuster screw threads. Install it between the primary and secondary shoes with the star wheel next to the secondary shoe. The star wheels are stamped with an L (left) and R (right).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Remove the shoe assemblies from their mounts once the retaining pins are removed

1. Overlap the ends of the primary and second brake shoes and install the adjusting spring and lever at the anchor end.
  2. Hold the shoes in position and install the parking brake cable into the lever.
  3. Install the parking brake strut and spring between the parking brake lever and primary shoe.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Remove the parking brake cable end from the lever arm

1. Place the brake shoes on the support and install the retainer nails and springs.
  2. Install the anchor pin plate.
  3. Install the eye of the adjusting cable over the anchor pin and install the return spring between the anchor pin and primary shoe.
  4. Install the cable guide in the secondary shoe and install the secondary return spring. Be sure that the primary spring overlaps the secondary spring.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Components (arranged in order) of the Chrysler rear brake assembly

1. Position the adjusting cable in the groove of the cable guide and engage the hook of the cable in the adjusting lever.
  2. Install the brake drum and retaining clips. Install the wheel and tire.
  3. Adjust the brakes and road test the truck.

Bendix Duo-Servo type

See Figures 12, 13 and 14

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Exploded view of the Bendix rear brake components

1. Unhook and remove the adjusting lever return spring.
  2. Remove the lever from the lever pivot pin.
  3. Unhook the adjuster lever from the adjuster cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Use a special brake tool as shown to remove the shoe-to-shoe spring

1. Unhook the upper shoe-to-shoe spring.
  2. Unhook and remove the shoe hold-down springs.
  3. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.
  4. Remove the shoes with the lower shoe-to-shoe spring and star wheel as an assembly.

To install the shoes:

1. The pivot screw and adjusting nut on the left side have left-hand threads and right hand threads on the right side.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: Use a special brake tool as shown to remove the hold-down springs

1. Lubricate and assemble the star wheel assembly. Lubricate the guide pads on the support plates.
  2. Assemble the star wheel, lower shoe-to-shoe spring, and the primary and secondary shoes. Position this assembly on the support plate.
  3. Install and hook the hold-down springs.
  4. Install the upper shoe-to-shoe spring.
  5. Install the cable and retaining clip.
  6. Position the adjuster lever return spring on the pivot (green springs on left brakes and red springs on right brakes).
  7. Install the adjuster lever. Route the adjuster cable and connect it to the adjuster.
  8. Install the brake drum and adjust the brakes.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.