moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

The turn signal flasher located in a 2007 1 ton Ram

Customer Question

Where is the turn signal flasher located in a 2007 1 ton Ram? And how do you reach it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
You dont have a flasher that you can replace by itself on your truck it is built into what is called the TIPM this is where the fuses are under the hood and the flasher is controled by it. It is built into this computer circuit.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

OPERATION

The turn signal indicators give an indication to the vehicle operator that the turn signal (left or right indicator flashing) or hazard warning (both left and right indicators flashing) have been selected and are operating. These indicators are controlled by transistors on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board based upon cluster programming, a hard wired multiplex input received by the cluster from the turn signal and hazard warning switch circuitry of the multi-function switch on the turn/hazard switch mux circuit, and electronic messages received from the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

Each turn signal indicator Light Emitting Diode (LED) is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will allow this indicator to operate whenever the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused B(+) circuit. Therefore, each LED can be illuminated regardless of the ignition switch position. The LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The instrument cluster will turn ON the turn signal indicators for the following reasons:

1. Turn Signal-On Input - Each time the cluster detects a turn signal-ON input from the turn signal switch circuitry of the multi-function switch on the turn/hazard switch mux circuit, it sends the appropriate electronic turn signal switch status messages to the TIPM over the CAN data bus. The TIPM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for either the right or left turn signal lamps. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic messages back to the cluster to control the flash rate of the turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional turn signal flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a turn signal-OFF input from the multi-function switch, or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.
  2. Hazard Warning-On Input - Each time the cluster detects a hazard warning-ON input from the hazard warning switch circuitry of the multi-function switch on the turn/hazard switch mux circuit, it sends the appropriate electronic hazard switch status messages to the TIPM over the CAN data bus. The TIPM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for each of the right and left turn signal lamps. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic messages back to the cluster to control the flash rate of the turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the cluster electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional hazard warning flasher. The turn signal indicators continue to flash ON and OFF until the cluster receives a hazard warning-OFF input from the multi-function switch.
  3. Lamp Out Mode - If the TIPM detects an ineffective turn signal lamp or circuit, it increases the flash rate for the remaining operative turn signals and sends an electronic message to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then increases the flash rate of the turn signal indicators and the click rate of the electromechanical relay to provide an indication of the problem to the vehicle operator.
  4. Self Test - Each time the cluster is put through the self test, the turn signal indicators will be turned ON, then OFF again during the bulb check portion of the test to confirm the functionality of each LED and the cluster control circuitry.

The instrument cluster, also known as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) continually monitors the multi-function switch and electronic messages from the TIPM to determine the proper turn signal and hazard warning indicator operation. For further diagnosis of the turn signal indicators or the instrument cluster circuitry that controls the indicators, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8J - Instrument Cluster/Instrument Cluster - Diagnosis and Testing) .

For proper diagnosis of the turn signal and hazard warning system, the multi-function switch, the TIPM, the CCN, the CAN data bus or the electronic communication related to turn signal indicator operation a diagnostic scan tool is required. Perform the appropriate diagnostic procedures as needed.