Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I cant disarm my dodge durango 2001 alarm- I get in my car

I can't disarm my dodge durango 2001 alarm- I get in my car and try to start it and the security alarm goes off and it locks up...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

Is this a factory alarm system?

Do you have a working remote keyless entry transmitter, kathey?

Let me know if it was working until this started, but isn't now.

Have you tried manually unlocking the passenger side door or the liftgate to disarm the alarm? The driver's door switch gets much more action than the other locks, so it may only be that you need to use a different unlock location until you can get this one fixed.

If neither of these suggestions help, check a few more things for me...

Does the dome lamp come on?

Do you hear a key-in ignition chime?

Do the exterior lights work?

Does your intermittent wipe function work? Steady speed wiping is hard-wired... I'm concerned about the intermittent function.

If it's a 4x4, do you see a "Service 4x4" message in the cluster?

If you have any of these problems (and some others that escape me) in addition to the factory alarm problem, you probably have a locked up central timer module (CTM), the module that controls practically all vehicle lighting as well as theft and wipers.

The CTM is located in the left kick panel, just behind the park brake pedal. You have to lift the door sill plate off first, then pull the panel straight toward you to disengage (no screws). The CTM is the black plastic box, roughly 6"x6" and has three electrical connectors.

Disconnect all three and wait about a minute before reconnecting. If functions that were previously inoperative come back to life, you'll be needing a new CTM at your first opportunity.

Write back if you have any questions or problems. I'll be glad to help.

Good luck!

Ed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is a factory alarm system- No I dont have a remote ( I lost it) The driver side wasnt working (unlocking properly) so my husband ordered another door handle lock- he removed the old one and put in the new one and then we ran into this problem. It will unlock now but when I go to start the car it locks up and the alarm goes off, Hope that helps...Thanks

It does. Try any other door lock on the truck... the right side passenger door should certainly have a disarm switch, as the liftgate may. Once disarmed, avoid using the power door locks to lock the vehicle or the alarm will reset.

The handiest fix (and quickest) will be to get remote keyless fobs programmed to the vehicle, which will do the same job as a door disarm switch. As long as you can find at least one lock that will disarm, you would be able to get along like that until the time comes that you'd like to look into fixing or replacing the driver's door switch.

Ed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

None of the door or liftgates locks disarm the alarm. After connecting the battery the doors lock any attempt to unlock the doors with the key causes the alarm to go off. The alarm also disables the car from starting. Is there a valet switch or another disarming switch mechanism that we can use to get the car to the dealership to get fixed?

No, there isn't...

Disconnect the CTM as I described earlier to see if it will wake the little guy up. What the truck is waiting for is an OK-to-start signal from the CTM before the engine controller will allow the engine to run. If you can get that one bit of cognizant operation, it might be what you need for its final drive.

Keep in mind that this is an anti-theft system that's got you stuck right now. If it was easy to get around, it wouldn't be much good. That's why you're made to suffer...

Ed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I disconnected the CTM and it didnt work- any other opions?? I just want to avoid paying for a tow truck if possible-- The truck is at my house and to tow it to the dealership will cost alot...Thanks!
If your other doors won't cooperate... no, I'm afraid not. I was hoping it would be a single door disarm switch situation, but if the other locks have no effect I think that may be your only option. I'm so sorry, but sometimes it works that way.

Ed
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist